The Student Room Group

Can't Decide Help Me

TL;DR - Stuck between KCL and Westminster for a media degree... stuck because accomodation looks nicer at KCL than Westminster. Is it bad that I'm doing this?

I'm currently in year 12 and I've been stressing myself out between Kings College London and University of Westminster to apply for a degree in media.

KCL - Cultural, Media and Creative Industries
Westminster - Digital Media and Communications
Both are BA.

KCL has been my dream university for some time now and I absolutely love their accommodations the most.

I was planning on visiting Westminster but due to carona that wasn't possible and it was for a another course anyways.

I feel as though I'm leaning towards KCL only because their accommodations are so nicer (money isn't an issue for me) and no offence Westminster your accomodations don't look too pleasing. But the downside to KCL is the course is brand new and being picked to study the course is very competitive I won't be able to work on my personal statement this summer and probably not when school starts cause I will be doing one of my alevels in a year.

Because the course is brand new they don't have much information on their website about it so research is very slim to none. I've emailed them and they had given me very basic understanding of the course and frankly the women on the other end was a tad bit rude. I said I was interested in something to do with Social Media Marketing or working in a PR firm and she said I should probably be looking for a marketing degree instead but on their website it's says "is perfect if you are looking for careers in the cultural, creative and media industries or work in various roles that cover arts management, communications, publishing, public relations, advertising, policy or marketing."

The lady confused me a lot but on the other hand Westminster website is very detailed and even gives you a VERY detailed layout the course and what you will be expected to do/ learn. Also it's lists the optional modules you could take during each year. This made me happy that I can see a full plan and how it's going to work out. The course looks like something I would love to be apart of and makes me feel confident to go here to study it. It also gave me student example work which kings doesn't. The only downside for me is the accommodation doesn't look the best.

What I'm asking is. Is it bad that I'm using a Universitis accommodation to decide whether I should go to it or not???
Original post by Stanza03
TL;DR - Stuck between KCL and Westminster for a media degree... stuck because accomodation looks nicer at KCL than Westminster. Is it bad that I'm doing this?

I'm currently in year 12 and I've been stressing myself out between Kings College London and University of Westminster to apply for a degree in media.

Both are BA.

KCL has been my dream university for some time now and I absolutely love their accommodations the most.

I was planning on visiting Westminster but due to carona that wasn't possible and it was for a another course anyways.

I feel as though I'm leaning towards KCL only because their accommodations are so nicer (money isn't an issue for me) and no offence Westminster your accomodations don't look too pleasing. But the downside to KCL is the course is brand new and being picked to study the course is very competitive I won't be able to work on my personal statement this summer and probably not when school starts cause I will be doing one of my alevels in a year.

Because the course is brand new they don't have much information on their website about it so research is very slim to none. I've emailed them and they had given me very basic understanding of the course and frankly the women on the other end was a tad bit rude. I said I was interested in something to do with Social Media Marketing or working in a PR firm and she said I should probably be looking for a marketing degree instead but on their website it's says "is perfect if you are looking for careers in the cultural, creative and media industries or work in various roles that cover arts management, communications, publishing, public relations, advertising, policy or marketing."

The lady confused me a lot but on the other hand Westminster website is very detailed and even gives you a VERY detailed layout the course and what you will be expected to do/ learn. Also it's lists the optional modules you could take during each year. This made me happy that I can see a full plan and how it's going to work out. The course looks like something I would love to be apart of and makes me feel confident to go here to study it. It also gave me student example work which kings doesn't. The only downside for me is the accommodation doesn't look the best.

What I'm asking is. Is it bad that I'm using a Universitis accommodation to decide whether I should go to it or not???

Use whatever you like.
KCL is in a different league compared to Westminster and I would choose KCL just about every time.
Notwithstanding you felt the woman was rude, then if you want to do marketing, wouldnt a marketing degree be better? That said a degree from KCL will open doors that one from Westminster wont.

Have you tried to find out who is the course organiser for the course and mail them. Assuming it isnt that woman.
If you’re only in yr 12 apply to both.

If you get offers then you’ll have until April 2021 to decide which to choose - by which time it should be possible to visit and find out a lot more about the course and accommodation.

There’s a good chance that you won’t get your preferred accommodation at any London university. And even if you do then you’ll be living out for over 2/3 of your time studying....
You have 5 choices when it comes to UCAS. Apply to both anyway, and when you do make a decision next year, hopefully (i say hopefully) by the end of this year start of next there might be applicant visit days in small groups, or visit the campus anyway and walk round the grounds to get a feel for it :smile:

Both are BA.

If you like the accommodation at KCL then apply to KCL.

Both are BA.

Yeah don't decide to go somewhere just because they have nice accommodation. You're only staying there for 1 year only. And there's no guarantee you'll end up at the accommodation you want (unless all the accommodation at KCL is really nice and you don't mind wherever you stay)

Apply for both Kings and Westminster and hopefully, when you get the offer, there will be some sort of offer holder day (which will probably be online by the looks of it) which will give you more of an insight into that course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending