The Student Room Group

Why do people on benefits get looked down on?

If someone on benefits had mental health problems, what would you think of them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"The poor disgust us because they are us, shorn of our illusions." - High Sparrow
I don't see the problem with people receiving benefits if they need it. That's a great perk of the UK and I'd most certainly encourage friends or family members to seek the help that they need. :rambo: That said, I think the bad image exists because the past few decades has bred generations of Brits who end up abusing the system.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Being a counsellor I would support them. Being on benefits is sometimes a necessity to survive.
Propaganda.
Reply 5
1. The media constantly likes to glamourise the lifestyle and make out people on benefits are living the life of riley
2. People don't like the thought of having to work for money whilst others get anything for free
There's nothing wrong with anyone accessing benefits if they need them
People love to think their better then other.
I think we’ll find, in this current climate, many of those who looked down their noses at those in the benefits system may find themselves at the job centre. Many people live beyond their means to keep up appearances and it’s times like these that’ll bring their world crashing down round them. Anyone can find themselves with a change of circumstances, no one is immune to financial difficulty... so if you see someone being judgement, just remember, it could be you !
Original post by Supernova36
I think we’ll find, in this current climate, many of those who looked down their noses at those in the benefits system may find themselves at the job centre. Many people live beyond their means to keep up appearances and it’s times like these that’ll bring their world crashing down round them. Anyone can find themselves with a change of circumstances, no one is immune to financial difficulty... so if you see someone being judgement, just remember, it could be you !

before the current climate people look down their noses at cleaners. Now people know how important cleaners are.
Idk. A lot of reasons. A common thread seems to be that a lot of people like to feel superior to those they deem inferior.
Original post by looloo2134
before the current climate people look down their noses at cleaners. Now people know how important cleaners are.

Cleaners, service staff, supermarket workers the list goes on !
Original post by looloo2134

Cleaners, service staff, supermarket workers the list goes on !

Original post by Quick-use

Jesus Christ. She ended her career in one second then lol .
Jesus Christ. She ended her career in one second then lol .

What career? :lol:

The comments section is savage. People saying that her potty mouth will land her jobless. :lol:
(edited 3 years ago)
What career

Fair point :ahee:
because of the daily mail

who Kelly Osbourne
Original post by Matty2993
If someone on benefits had mental health problems, what would you think of them?

Mental problems = Inability to do job = No income = Need benefits to survive = Justified
Original post by stumptrump
because of the daily mail

And Channel 5 but they are showing the scale of abuse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending