Pandagirlx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
How do UCAS points and do you get them from a-levels or uni courses?
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
Anyone??
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
I need 2 know before its 2 late.
charleeholland
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
so a certain grade = UCAS points. the higher the grade the more points. then you need a certain amounts of points (grade) to do the uni courseName:  CEA2D5F0-C2A4-4151-B16E-2EBAFC5C7A8E.jpg.jpeg
Views: 48
Size:  23.6 KB
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
Ok. Do you get the points from a-level work and the exams
GHeard26
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
UCAS points are a system used to compare Various level 3 qualifications for University entry as they can have different weights. As they are for University entry, University courses do not carry UCAS Points

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/w...-tariff-points
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Pandagirlx)
Hi Pandagirlx!

The chart the previous user gave gives a breakdown of UCAS points that you attain from A-Levels.

Are you currently in year 12?
charleeholland
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ok. Do you get the points from a-level work and the exams
it’s whatever you get for your final grade which can be exams and coursework
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Hi Pandagirlx!

The chart the previous user gave gives a breakdown of UCAS points that you attain from A-Levels.

Are you currently in year 12?
I will in September. I am in year 11.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
UCAS points are a format to allow universities to draw comparisons between various school leaving qualifications (e.g. A-levels, BTECs, IB). Some universities express their entry criteria in UCAS points, which will be derived from these school leaving qualifications (and sometimes others). I would note however many universities do not use UCAS points in making offers, and the ones that do use them as their standard method for entry criteria are often (although not always) somewhat flexible in meeting grade requirements on results day anyway.

Generally I would not recommend aiming to "collect" as many UCAS points as possible, since the universities that do use that system will not expect you to get significantly more UCAS points than e.g. ABB-CCC grades at A-level (or equivalent results in a BTEC extended diploma) would get you, and other universities that don't use that system usually do not recognise non-school leave qualifications that "give" UCAS points (e.g. many vocational/technical qualifications such as ABRSM music exams, City & Guilds vocational qualifications etc) and so they will be of no benefit for those anyway. I would recommend selecting an appropriate school leaving qualification for your interests and aptitudes (e.g. A-levels, the IBD, BTEC level 3 extended diplomas, etc).
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
(Original post by charleeholland)
it’s whatever you get for your final grade which can be exams and coursework
Ok. What happens if you don't get enough UCAS points for the uni course I want to do.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Anyone??
I need 2 know before its 2 late.
It is also unnecessary and not helpful to bump your post twice within 10 minutes of posting it. You should not bump a post more than once every 24 hours, and should only normally do so if it is not on the front page of the forums you posted it on - which it certainly will be for at least 10 minutes, even in very busy forums like Chat.
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
UCAS points are a format to allow universities to draw comparisons between various school leaving qualifications (e.g. A-levels, BTECs, IB). Some universities express their entry criteria in UCAS points, which will be derived from these school leaving qualifications (and sometimes others). I would note however many universities do not use UCAS points in making offers, and the ones that do use them as their standard method for entry criteria are often (although not always) somewhat flexible in meeting grade requirements on results day anyway.

Generally I would not recommend aiming to "collect" as many UCAS points as possible, since the universities that do use that system will not expect you to get significantly more UCAS points than e.g. ABB-CCC grades at A-level (or equivalent results in a BTEC extended diploma) would get you, and other universities that don't use that system usually do not recognise non-school leave qualifications that "give" UCAS points (e.g. many vocational/technical qualifications such as ABRSM music exams, City & Guilds vocational qualifications etc) and so they will be of no benefit for those anyway. I would recommend selecting an appropriate school leaving qualification for your interests and aptitudes (e.g. A-levels, the IBD, BTEC level 3 extended diplomas, etc).
Ok, I want to go to university of Greenwich. In Greenwich.
charleeholland
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ok, I want to go to university of Greenwich. In Greenwich.
you need to do your own research for what your entry requirements are.
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
you need to do your own research for what your entry requirements are.
https://www.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate-...l-work-ba-hons
charleeholland
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
okay cool. this is for you not me so you don’t have to show me i’m already at university😂
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
okay cool. this is for you not me so you don’t have to show me i’m already at university😂
Ok. University nice??
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Its the qualification, on results day the final grade on your certificate dictates how many points you'll get.

Some uni will ask for grades, others will ask for points (UCAS points you can over-perform in 1 subject and then underperform in another as long as you get the right amount of points)

Most unis will ask for points or grades from your top 3 A-levels (or equivalent qualification).
Pandagirlx
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Its the qualification, on results day the final grade on your certificate dictates how many points you'll get.

Some uni will ask for grades, others will ask for points (UCAS points you can over-perform in 1 subject and then underperform in another as long as you get the right amount of points)

Most unis will ask for points or grades from your top 3 A-levels (or equivalent qualification).
kk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (638)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads