The Student Room Group

International Students

Hi, Im an international student and I want to study in the UK- PPE or Economics and History. I didn't think Oxbridge would be worth the effort,becuase it's really difficult for international students to get in. I'm mainly looking at LSE and King's. I have good grades and my teachers recommend doing a practice TSA to see where I stand. Any advice?
Original post by siumi
Hi, Im an international student and I want to study in the UK- PPE or Economics and History. I didn't think Oxbridge would be worth the effort,becuase it's really difficult for international students to get in. I'm mainly looking at LSE and King's. I have good grades and my teachers recommend doing a practice TSA to see where I stand. Any advice?

Hi! I think that if you have the grades for LSE then you should apply for Oxbridge. You never know you may get in! I'm pretty sure that the chances of getting a place are the same as a UK applicant as they just accept the best candidates however if you are international then the tuition fees are much more expensive. I think that Oxbridge are the only unis to require the TSA so you only need to practise if that is where you are applying.
Reply 2
Original post by 123puzzleme
Hi! I think that if you have the grades for LSE then you should apply for Oxbridge. You never know you may get in! I'm pretty sure that the chances of getting a place are the same as a UK applicant as they just accept the best candidates however if you are international then the tuition fees are much more expensive. I think that Oxbridge are the only unis to require the TSA so you only need to practise if that is where you are applying.

Thanks so much! Yes, I'm definitely considering it, thanks for the confidence boost!
Original post by siumi
Thanks so much! Yes, I'm definitely considering it, thanks for the confidence boost!

No worries, just PM me if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer :smile:
Hey there! I've been working for a stars in my igcses. Do they recommend igcse or give more importance to the gcse results. Secondly, can a complete newbie and amateur, get into Oxford with considerably low grades in the essays. As an international candidate, I have no control over my linguistics. Lastly, does a private candidate for her igcses stand any chance for Oxford. A few of my peers and acquaintances have suggested that applying to Oxford as a private candidate is not sufficient and can be overlooked. I am eagerly waiting for your reply.
Reply 5
Original post by Hania33333
Hey there! I've been working for a stars in my igcses. Do they recommend igcse or give more importance to the gcse results. Secondly, can a complete newbie and amateur, get into Oxford with considerably low grades in the essays. As an international candidate, I have no control over my linguistics. Lastly, does a private candidate for her igcses stand any chance for Oxford. A few of my peers and acquaintances have suggested that applying to Oxford as a private candidate is not sufficient and can be overlooked. I am eagerly waiting for your reply.

Oxford looks at gcse and igcse equivalently. Number of A* is a factor they look at before interview.

I don't fully understand your second question, but if you are worrying about language, there are still two years for you to practice. You need at least the level of fluency that allows you to communicate ideas well in interviews to get in. I'm also international doing physics. If you wish to do social sciences, language could be more challenging, but not impossible.

For the last question, it wont be a problem in the previous years, but this year no actual exam took place so it is better to attend a school that your examination board trusts. They are responsible to give you a grade which the university and examination board have to be convinced about. The other thing is you need a reference letter when you submit your UCAS, which makes it easier if you stay in a school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending