source of potential difference

Watch this thread
grace10101
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I understand that potential difference is the difference in energy across a component but I'm struggling to understand how a battery or cell is a source of potential difference. Is it because the cell or battery transfers electrical energy to the electrons each time they pass through?
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Batteries (or cells) have + and - terminals which means that there will be potential difference.
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by grace10101)
I understand that potential difference is the difference in energy across a component but I'm struggling to understand how a battery or cell is a source of potential difference. Is it because the cell or battery transfers electrical energy to the electrons each time they pass through?
You would normally say a battery or cell is a source of EMF, rather than potential difference. By that you are saying that the cell gives energy to the charges passing through it. The emf is measured in volts.
Potential difference is also measured in volts. It measures the energy (in joule) gained or lost by a charge (coulomb) passing through that potential difference.
The potential difference in the case of the cell, is a measure of the energy given to the charges. This comes from the chemical energy in the cell being converted to electrical. (In a dynamo it would be mechanical energy that was converted to electrical.)
When the charges flow round a circuit they lose energy. The potential difference between any 2 points in the circuit is a measure of how much electrical energy they have lost in moving between those 2 points.
In a circuit you have this process where the cell gives the charges electrical energy, and the cells lose this energy as they move round it. When they reach the cell again they get more energy and the process continues for as long as the cell can provide the energy. (Until the battery is 'flat'.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.77%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (53)
54.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads