Do i need to be good at maths to take alevel physics?

Watch
Jezzy557
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I got a C in gcse maths and tried to retake it, i was doing horribly with my mental health sp i ended up getting a C again, im doing online Alevels in september and i really want to do physics but since im only mediocre at maths im not sure if it will be a good idea?
Luwei
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You dont have to be good at maths to take A level physics; it barely has any in it at all. The whole complexion would change if you wanted to study physics at university though.
e2002!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Tbh i’m not totally sure, it could go either way.

The person above has said there’s hardly any maths in it but i definitely wouldn’t agree. In year 12 almost a third of the content in mechanics, so obviously that’s heavy on maths. In general there’s a tonne of maths in A level physics. Don’t get me wrong a big proportion of it is using equations so that’s always quite simple but there often can be difficult problem solving questions using maths skills.

You’re ofcourse not guaranteed to do bad and if you work hard at the maths aspects then you may be able to get them down with some practice. But yeah expect to do be doing quite a lot of calculations.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Luwei)
You dont have to be good at maths to take A level physics; it barely has any in it at all. The whole complexion would change if you wanted to study physics at university though.
I really disagree. Although you dont need to be great at maths for it, you do need to be decent at maths or have a solid foundation in it. It has a lot of maths and your maths skills are very dependant on the mechanics section as it's basically maths
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you want to do physics, I defo recommend you to go for it but maybe use this time to work on your maths skills as although its not maths heavy, it really relies on your math skills, especially with mechanics - that's why most schools need a high gcse grade in maths. Maybe try some questions and see if it's something it would be possible for you to achieve.
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Physics and maths are usually done together, iIf you don't enjoy maths then I don't think you should do phsics. There is quite a bit of maths and considering your grade, I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you were able to do some maths practice and bring it up to a high enough level.
Tredoltle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Physics is literally made up of maths. Pretty much everything you learn in physics will have been theorised or proven through maths. Having done a level physics, and having gotten an A* in GCSE maths, I often found myself struggling with the maths involved in a level physics. Please, for your sake, do not underestimate the maths involved in a level physics.
Calculations of density, thermodynamics, mechanics, even astrophysics concepts such as working out the distance of stars or their temperature, will really test your maths skills.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you struggle with algebraic manipulations, (which you'll need as above) you may find parts of A-level physics fairly tough. Perhaps not undoable, but you'll definitely be on the back foot. Most of the manipulations aren't beyond GCSE level, the bits beyond are mainly logs and iirc some trigonometry. There is no calculus or anything like that to worry about.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jezzy557)
I got a C in gcse maths and tried to retake it, i was doing horribly with my mental health sp i ended up getting a C again, im doing online Alevels in september and i really want to do physics but since im only mediocre at maths im not sure if it will be a good idea?
Maybe you should start off just signing up for the AS level course?
There are CPG books (I've never used them myself) which develop maths skills for A-Level physics.
Yas031119
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
im taking physics and maths in sept because my new 6th form says its compulsory to take them together, you will struggle no doubt with the mechanics area of physics which is a massive part of it , if you dont take maths with it :3
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Yas031119)
im taking physics and maths in sept because my new 6th form says its compulsory to take them together, you will struggle no doubt with the mechanics area of physics which is a massive part of it , if you dont take maths with it :3
disagree - if you're confident with GCSE maths (mainly algebra and trigonometry) you'll be fine, the maths content of A-level physics is only very slightly beyond GCSE. (logs and radians, the former you'll have to work with in chemistry too)

The overlap between the mechanics in A-level maths and that in physics isn't that massive either. (just constant acceleration and moments) Think you're introduced to constant acceleration problems in GCSE physics, too.

if someone's only sitting on a low pass at GCSE maths like the OP they might struggle though. (and it'd be inadvisable to do A-level maths in that case too)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.59%
I'm not sure (54)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (346)
29.17%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (578)
48.74%

Watched Threads