The Student Room Group

What wage is a decent wage these days?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonmyst
Her own mother spends more, married into money and has never worked a day in her life.
I live alone in London on less than £30 a week after rent & bills, working three jobs and weekends.
It all depends on lifestyle choices and standard of living.

Would you really expect to be able to buy a London house, pay for a wedding and have more than one child on a household income of £18k after tax (1500 x 12)?

i kinda disclaimed my lifestyle doesn't match OP's qeustion.

Original post by Jaguar1200
Well I get by with £800 a month in Northern ENgland. it's an absolute skimp of a lifestyle but I don't care too much about possessions. plus im a broke student and i will never be able to drive so my costs are significantly lower than other people.
Her own mother spends more, married into money and has never worked a day in her life.
I live alone in London on less than £30 a week after rent & bills, working three jobs and weekends.

Would you really expect to be able to buy a London house, pay for a wedding and have more than one child on a household income of £18k after tax (1500 x 12)?

to be honest a salary of £90k looks appropriate to achieve all of that
Original post by Jaguar1200
to be honest a salary of £90k looks appropriate to achieve all of that

Rather you than me- in London.
I won't be able to afford the financial costs of providing for more than one child, so can only have one.
Wouldn't risk buying a London house, paying for a London wedding and raising a child on an income below £110k.

Say a mortgage deposit of 10-15%, mortgage lenders loan-to-borrow income ratio usually capped at 450% of annual salary and the 28/36 rule (maximum of 28% of income on housing costs, 36% on total debt service- including mortgage, credit cards, overdraft, student loans, car finance).
Average wedding cost in 2018 was over £30k according to the National Wedding Survey run by BrideBook.
None of the London wedding planners I know accept clients with a combined wedding booze and flowers budget below £40k.
I actually work in London but live up north, it’s cheaper for me to commute then to live down there in that extortionate big smoke :hmmmm2:
Rather you than me- in London.
I won't be able to afford the financial costs of providing for more than one child, so can only have one.
Wouldn't risk buying a London house, paying for a London wedding and raising a child on an income below £110k.

Say a mortgage deposit of 10-15%, mortgage lenders loan-to-borrow income ratio usually capped at 450% of annual salary and the 28/36 rule (maximum of 28% of income on housing costs, 36% on total debt service- including mortgage, credit cards, overdraft, student loans, car finance).
Average wedding cost in 2018 was over £30k according to the National Wedding Survey run by BrideBook.
None of the London wedding planners I know accept clients with a combined wedding booze and flowers budget below £40k.

I dunno, i feel like your mother has rubbed off on you! For example, you automatically assume you're going to hire a wedding planner. I'm pretty sure only rich people and idiots hire wedding planners.

Buying a house is a huge problem, but that's why everyone lives with their parents until they're 35 then lives in the **** areas.
Reply 25
My mother came from a very affluent background.
She has had a taste for the high life since childhood, is in the habit of giving expensive gifts/loans/handouts to a variety of pals and activist causes.
Possible addictions include: activism, bizarre choice of mostly deranged/vicious pals, charity, contrarianism mixed with non-sexual masochism, encouraging illegal immigration, fortnum & mason, harrods, luxury brands, revolutionary politics, trying to buy herself friendship to compensate for a lonely childhood and habitually giving money/freebies & the time of day to those who least deserve it.

My father is a total skinflint, in the habit of collecting coupons and getting refunds for almost all birthday gifts he receives (solely to chuck the money in the face of the gift giver).

why would your mother swipe your life savings if she is rich?

it sounds like you've inherited your mothers expensive tastes for things as 200k+ is way over the top for raising a family [even in London]
It's about 25k for a single normally, or about a quadrillion pounds for Londoners😂
Original post by nexttime
I dunno, i feel like your mother has rubbed off on you! For example, you automatically assume you're going to hire a wedding planner. I'm pretty sure only rich people and idiots hire wedding planners.

Buying a house is a huge problem, but that's why everyone lives with their parents until they're 35 then lives in the **** areas.

No.
I'm not going to hire a wedding planner if I get married in England.
A few of my friends are wedding planners and I sometimes have to liaise with some based overseas.

1. no need to have a big wedding just sign a paper costing £50-£200 saying that you are married
2. no need to buy a house, flats/apartments exist plus worse case scenario you can rent a house
3. no need to have more than one child either
Original post by ANM775
why would your mother swipe your life savings if she is rich?

it sounds like you've inherited your mothers expensive tastes for things as 200k+ is way over the top for raising a family [even in London]

Her motive was not related to her own financial needs.
It was to prevent me from being able to escape the house and all involvement with her activism & revolutionary politics.
Tightening her control, leaving me with nothing, forcing me into a position of final dependency and leaving me with no alternative to obeying her ultimatums/her pals demands.
The last in a long line of incidents that involved thieving and humiliating me.
To this day, she still can't figure out where she went wrong and why all her plans failed. :rolleyes:

That said, my father was far from blameless and was aware of her plan but he did not touch my savings.
Nor spend them or give the money to any one else.

Would you really try buying a house in London, paying for a wedding and maintaining at least one child on an income below £110k? :confused:
Reply 30
Would you really try buying a house in London, paying for a wedding and maintaining at least one child on an income below £110k? :confused:

Plenty of people do it in London.

probably less than 10% of the population in London has a combined income of greater than 110k ....yet there are still people buying homes and raising families....

and if you do really need 110k, then I suggest you move, I know your name is LondonMyst ....but you'd be much better off becoming a LiverpoolMyst or something like that .....because I doubt you are gonna obtain this 110k annual figure unless there's something you're telling me.

you are working 4 jobs and have £30 spare at the end of each week.
Original post by 1st superstar
1. no need to have a big wedding just sign a paper costing £50-£200 saying that you are married
2. no need to buy a house, flats/apartments exist plus worse case scenario you can rent a house
3. no need to have more than one child either

My answer to OP was based on OPs scenarios: buying a house, getting married and having kids.

Personally, I wouldn't have my wedding in a registry office.
Nor a big wedding or large number of guests.
But I would spend money on a church, rings, wedding outfits including the bridesmaids, party and catering for the guests.
Original post by ANM775
Plenty of people do it in London.

probably less than 10% of the population in London has a combined income of greater than 110k ....yet there are still people buying homes and raising families....

and if you do really need 110k, then I suggest you move, I know your name is LondonMyst ....but you'd be much better off becoming a LiverpoolMyst or something like that .....because I doubt you are gonna obtain this 110k annual figure unless there's something you're telling me.

you are working 4 jobs and have £30 spare at the end of each week.

Many professional Londoners are walking a financial tightrope struggling to keep up with the Joneses, Smiths or Shahs.
Living the high life on credit; car finance, expensive hire purchase deals, high mortgage costs, installing £20k kitchens and then chucking them after 3-4 years.
Others are relying on welfare funds to feed, house and pay for childcare for their household.

Living costs in London are very expensive and rents notoriously exorbitant.
But I love London life.
I'm none too keen on relocating to regions of England like Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Yorkshire or the countryside.
I have considered moving to Belfast.
My answer to OP was based on OPs scenarios: buying a house, getting married and having kids.

Personally, I wouldn't have my wedding in a registry office.
Nor a big wedding or large number of guests.
But I would spend money on a church, rings, wedding outfits including the bridesmaids, party and catering for the guests.

still don't think that one need's £225K in order to have a family in London
still don't think that one need's £225K in order to have a family in London

I mean if they are the only one with salary, that makes some sense. A couple will earn £100k each, which is reasonable.
Reply 35
Many professional Londoners are walking a financial tightrope struggling to keep up with the Joneses, Smiths or Shahs.
Living the high life on credit; car finance, expensive hire purchase deals, high mortgage costs, installing £20k kitchens and then chucking them after 3-4 years.
Others are relying on welfare funds to feed, house and pay for childcare for their household.

Living costs in London are very expensive and rents notoriously exorbitant.
But I love London life.
I'm none too keen on relocating to regions of England like Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Yorkshire or the countryside.
I have considered moving to Belfast.

You say you Love London Life, ...but by staying in London you are living a lower quality of life if your ambition is to have your own home/child as you're unlikely to reach the £110k figure that you've set yourself.

Do you want to be renting until you're an old lady?

at least if you were living with your parents you'd be able to save a bit of money up towards a deposit, but being estranged you are forced to pay rent to a Landlord and only have £30 left each week.
Original post by Arctic Kitten
I mean if they are the only one with salary, that makes some sense. A couple will earn £100k each, which is reasonable.

yes but it's not what you "need". £80K per parent before tax in enough imo.
yes but it's not what you "need". £80K per parent before tax in enough imo.

Well yeah, but I think a bit extra for saving, investing, hobbies and other miscellaneous for a comfortable life is part of 'a decent wage'. You can scrape by with much less and can struggle with much more anyway.
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Well yeah, but I think a bit extra for saving, investing, hobbies and other miscellaneous for a comfortable life is part of 'a decent wage'. You can scrape by with much less and can struggle with much more anyway.

true
Now now children, we all come from different backgrounds and have different views on what is the cost of living, what are luxuries etc etc.

Side note: don’t bash Liverpool otherwise I’ll steal your lunch money! Born and raised and proud!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending