Richard 99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,
With radioactive half life decay, just wondering what will be picked up on a Geiger Muller, will only half the radiation now be present - hence you know you reached half life, or will the half that decayed still be emmiting some radiation.

~ or does it depend on the isotope, some isotopes will decay and no longer emit radiation, where isotopes of a different element might decay and still be emitting radiation? - thanks
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The count rate is directly proportional to the amount of radioactive material left. The actual radioactivity of the material on a specific basis doesn't change, but the count rate will fall as there is simply less material decaying. Half the material = half the radiation count rate = 1 half life

Think of it as a crowd at a concert. The noise of one person would be the "radioactivity", and the total noise is the "count rate/intensity" in this example. A huge crowd will be loudest and have a greater count rate, whereas a group half the size will have a smaller one. However, there is still "radiation" being emitted, albeit a lower level. As the crowd size halves over and over there is always radiation/noise, it just falls in intensity as there are less individual emitters (radioactive nuclei).

Until all of the material is gone radiation is still being emitted
Richard 99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by tmr19)
The count rate is directly proportional to the amount of radioactive material left. The actual radioactivity of the material on a specific basis doesn't change, but the count rate will fall as there is simply less material decaying. Half the material = half the radiation count rate = 1 half life

Think of it as a crowd at a concert. The noise of one person would be the "radioactivity", and the total noise is the "count rate/intensity" in this example. A huge crowd will be loudest and have a greater count rate, whereas a group half the size will have a smaller one. However, there is still "radiation" being emitted, albeit a lower level. As the crowd size halves over and over there is always radiation/noise, it just falls in intensity as there are less individual emitters (radioactive nuclei).

Until all of the material is gone radiation is still being emitted
Thanks very much for the reply, understand it now, have a good night
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads