sophietxx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I like English and Geography equally. I'd say that because I don't really enjoy the books sometimes in English but in Geography I don't like physical geography much - I know this is like half the course but I find strategies and how people cope with physical stuff interesting just not the strictly science y bits. I feel like Lit is something I'm likelier to regret - people have much stronger views on this, however my school does far better in Lit than geography and I think Lit is slightly more highly viewed. What's Lit really like - how much did you really like and what about books that you really weren't so keen on..? I'm doing sciences and maths so I think Lit is a fresher change from them but I love geography too. I like how Lit has more scope for creativity too. Thanks
AelinSardothein
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Geography is amazing at A-level - even the physical parts kinda join into human geography - such as the water cycle - i hate physical geography with a passion but the water and carbon cycle in year 2 was amazing - its kinda both joined together

trust me do geography - you will not regret it!!
+ its so current and interesting
kitkadd
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Geography
neko no basu
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by sophietxx)
I like English and Geography equally. I'd say that because I don't really enjoy the books sometimes in English but in Geography I don't like physical geography much - I know this is like half the course but I find strategies and how people cope with physical stuff interesting just not the strictly science y bits. I feel like Lit is something I'm likelier to regret - people have much stronger views on this, however my school does far better in Lit than geography and I think Lit is slightly more highly viewed. What's Lit really like - how much did you really like and what about books that you really weren't so keen on..? I'm doing sciences and maths so I think Lit is a fresher change from them but I love geography too. I like how Lit has more scope for creativity too. Thanks
I did both English lit and geography at A level and I really enjoyed both of them. I wouldn't necessarily say Lit is slightly more highly viewed than geography. I guess in some senses Lit gives you more writing skills than geography does but I'd say they're both equally respected.

I'm exactly the same as you, I didn't like physical geography either and that's why I didn't choose geography at the start (I changed from psychology to geography a couple of weeks into yr 12). For English lit, I did 9 texts (which sounds like a lot but 3 were for coursework so I didn't have to revise them) and I didn't like 6 of those texts. But although I didn't like the actual storylines of those books, the techniques of the writers to craft their work was really interesting so I ended up enjoying the subject.

I actually wouldn't say that Lit has more scope for creativity. Most of the time you just analyse the techniques the writers uses and the motifs they include rather than use your own creativity. Only exception was for coursework (this will probably depend on your exam board), there was a chance to do a re-creative piece where you write your own poem/part of a play/novel in the style of a particular author.

Hope that helped, sorry for the long response
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
First, literature is not viewed in an objectively better light than geography at A Level. They are both rigorous, traditional, academic courses that both have useful transferrable skills. I wouldn't fret about their relative prestige. Either option is respected.

Literature can be tough at times, but if you enjoy classical literature, and literary criticism, you will likely relish most lessons. You must be prepared to do a lot of independent reading. It's a far cry from what you'll get a GCSE. How many texts you study is dependent upon your awarding body.

I really liked English literature. I'll admit that the standard of essay writing took a little while to become au fait with, but that was probably my only major concern apart from NEA. Most pupils, regardless of their GCSE performance, have this issue. Once you settle in, however, I think you truly can enjoy it. NEA can either be a wonderful experience or an absolutely torturous one. It all boils down to your organisation, how much you like those particular texts (which you may be able to choose if you're studying a spec like Edexcel's) and whether you're the type of pupil that's suited to coursework.

With respect to my prescribed texts, I only truly disliked my NEA texts (Small Island and The Fat Black Woman's Poems). I cannot necessarily explain why I wasn't too fond of these oeuvres, but I just found little to no engagement with it. I think everyone will have that with at least one or two texts throughout the course, but I didn't find it to be nearly enough of a problem for me to say that it ruined my experience.
Last edited by Tolgash; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (489)
33.4%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (608)
41.53%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (299)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.64%

Watched Threads