Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HannahJFox)
Any London firms that don’t expect RG applicants? Or is it best to apply for smaller firms outside of the city if your A-levels aren’t AAB? Also I am currently working as a paralegal abroad in the Middle East, I’m worried about if I do get interviews how I would attend. I get 40 days holiday a year but it’s more the expense of flying back for different interviews. Would you mention this in your application? Thanks
RG is never a requirement. The RGs aren't uniformly represented across London law firms, either. Some (Oxbridge, Durham) are vastly, vastly better represented than others (QUB, Southampton).

You can still apply to the London firms that don't have minimum requirements. If you have substantial work experience, it may well be worth talking to grad rec to see whether they'd be happy to consider an application from you even though you did not meet the minimum requirements.

If you're travelling for interview, you get reimbursed up to a certain amount. It may be worth asking whether this applies to plane travel (most people usually ask for a reimbursement for the train).
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Any London firms that don’t expect RG applicants? Or is it best to apply for smaller firms outside of the city if your A-levels aren’t AAB? Also I am currently working as a paralegal abroad in the Middle East, I’m worried about if I do get interviews how I would attend. I get 40 days holiday a year but it’s more the expense of flying back for different interviews. Would you mention this in your application? Thanks
I've seen several non-RG students at top law firms, so for most in London you should be fine (assuming the rest of your application is strong). Also, as mentioned, there are a number of firms in London that don't require AAB at A-level (https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/la...ction-criteria). Your paralegal experience sounds like a great boost to your application. At the moment I wouldn't worry too much about issues with travel or mentioning it in your application (at least for this round of applications) as COVID-19 will mean most interviews will be online. When I interviewed for one MC firm last summer a number of applicants who were meant to be at my AC did their interview virtually (as they were international students and could not travel to London). I would just bring up the travel aspect if you are invited to interview.
Last edited by lawcalling; 4 weeks ago
HannahJFox
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your responses! Made me feel a little less doomed!
Does anyone know how long after closing date of applications we will get a response?
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your responses! Made me feel a little less doomed!
Does anyone know how long after closing date of applications we will get a response?
Honestly depends on the firm. Some firms respond fast, even in normal circumstances. I've heard of people receiving Baker McKenzie WG invites already, which is kind of soon since their deadline 2 weeks ago. Others, like Dentons(although I havent applied), have not responded to anyone despite their rolling basis status(correct me if I am wrong)

Patience is key here.
Cityblonde
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Any advice for the TC interview at Freshfields and the TC conversion interview at CC (after the vac scheme)? Thank you!
AspireInspire
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cityblonde)
Any advice for the TC interview at Freshfields and the TC conversion interview at CC (after the vac scheme)? Thank you!
For the conversion interview I'd really focus on what you've learnt from the scheme and how you think you're the right fit for the firm and vice versa. In my experience second interviews with firms/conversion interviews after VS aren't about testing your capabilities, but testing your fit instead.

Feel free to PM if you're struggling for ideas
lawcalling
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cityblonde)
PM me!
hellopiggyluv
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Any advice on the sort of questions to expect on a post vac scheme TC interview? Not sure how to prepare!
CharleneH87
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
anyone heard from dentons?
h0pefulstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Does anyone know the dates for Freshfields 2022 TC interviews? I've been told that I won't hear back about the outcome of mine until they've interviewed everyone, so just wanted a rough idea of when that might be
lawcalling
Rep:
?
(Original post by h0pefulstudent)
Does anyone know the dates for Freshfields 2022 TC interviews? I've been told that I won't hear back about the outcome of mine until they've interviewed everyone, so just wanted a rough idea of when that might be
I interviewed at the end of August last year!
kp07l
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anyone know if it's reasonable to expect many responses to applications before this September? I've applied to 9 direct TCs this summer (some UK based, some international) but only got 3 responses back, apart from L&W which said they're considering in September. I'm starting to wonder if half of these firms are even recruiting
lawcalling
Rep:
?
(Original post by kp07l)
Anyone know if it's reasonable to expect many responses to applications before this September? I've applied to 9 direct TCs this summer (some UK based, some international) but only got 3 responses back, apart from L&W which said they're considering in September. I'm starting to wonder if half of these firms are even recruiting
I heard back from the bulk of firms end of July - mid August last year (both good and bad). Wouldn’t worry too much about a lack of response yet.
Blancosdos
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kp07l)
Which firms did you apply for? I browse this forum and others often so I can let you know if I've heard something back from certain firms(or other people's experiences)

Bakers are offering Video Interviews now! And Macfarlanes said they'll let people know before July/August(read elsewhere). A lot of firms are doing VS so they are working on that too!

You'll hear back from most firms before September, I'm sure!
tc2022hopeful
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi - thought it would be nice to get in touch with other TC 2022 applicants. Going into my final year LLB at a good RG, applied throughout July and August to the following firms:

Ashfords - rejected pre-interview
BCLP - no response
Linklaters - no response
DWF - no response
Sullivan & Cromwell - told application was put on hold until July, then rejected pre-interview
Macfarlanes - no response
Slaughter and May - no response
Latham & Watkins - no response (but Grad Rec emailed and said they'd get back to us by early Sep)
White & Case - no response
Freshfields - no response
Sidley Austin - no response

Thought it would be nice to keep each other updated on progress and when firms are getting back - how is everyone else getting on?
seruzachan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi lawcalling and coffeeneeded27, I was wondering whether you could offer any tips/resources you used to prepare for case studies for ACs? Thank you!
Blancosdos
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tc2022hopeful)
Hi - thought it would be nice to get in touch with other TC 2022 applicants. Going into my final year LLB at a good RG, applied throughout July and August to the following firms:

Ashfords - rejected pre-interview
BCLP - no response
Linklaters - no response
DWF - no response
Sullivan & Cromwell - told application was put on hold until July, then rejected pre-interview
Macfarlanes - no response
Slaughter and May - no response
Latham & Watkins - no response (but Grad Rec emailed and said they'd get back to us by early Sep)
White & Case - no response
Freshfields - no response
Sidley Austin - no response

Thought it would be nice to keep each other updated on progress and when firms are getting back - how is everyone else getting on?
hey- the firms highlighted in bold are the ones I also applied to. Same over here, no response whatsoever. Re Linklaters TC, I didn't apply, but some people I know were rejected pre interview. And i saw on other formums that someone was rejected from Slaughters(just them though, the single case only)
kp07l
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Blancosdos)
Which firms did you apply for? I browse this forum and others often so I can let you know if I've heard something back from certain firms(or other people's experiences)

Bakers are offering Video Interviews now! And Macfarlanes said they'll let people know before July/August(read elsewhere). A lot of firms are doing VS so they are working on that too!

You'll hear back from most firms before September, I'm sure!
I can't remember them all, but Forsters and Irwin Mitchell are definitely two I'm still waiting on!
If it helps anyone the ones I heard back already which were all rejections were BDB Pitmans (post-SJT) Withers (quickly before closing deadline) and Eversheds
Last edited by kp07l; 2 weeks ago
flatmum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kp07l)
I can't remember them all, but Forsters and Irwin Mitchell are definitely two I'm still waiting on!
If it helps anyone the ones I heard back already which were all rejections were BDB Pitmans (post-SJT) Withers (quickly before closing deadline) and Eversheds
Hi, sorry to hear about your the BDB Pitmans rejection. Just wondered when you submitted your application to them?
Hope one of your applications is successful!
lawcalling
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by seruzachan)
Hi lawcalling and coffeeneeded27, I was wondering whether you could offer any tips/resources you used to prepare for case studies for ACs? Thank you!
This is just a brief outline of what I went over, but I'm sure other applicants will have gone about this differently. Also, the content of AC's varies massively - make sure to do your research beforehand so you know the type of topics/scenarios that may come up. Organisations such as Rare, Aspiring Solicitors, TCLA (especially their ‘Interview Experiences’ section) and past candidates may be able to give further advice on what to expect.

Areas of understanding for interview:
• Raising finance (debt vs equity financing) (and advantages/disadvantages of each)
• Basic understanding of M&A
• Share purchase vs asset purchase (and advantages/disadvantages of each)
• Key terms such as indemnities, warranties and restrictive covenants
• Key contracts such as a Sale and Purchase Agreement, Non-Disclosure Agreement and Lock-out Agreement
• Basic understanding of insolvency (look at TCLA's previous Instagram story)
• Basic knowledge of contract law (only if you are a law student)
• Basic understanding of competition
• Different business structures (and advantages/disadvantages of each)

It's also probably a good idea to have a basic understanding of COVID and Brexit and the effects it will have on the firm and its clients.

Newspapers/News Sources:
• The Guardian
• BBC
• The Business Insider
• The Financial Times

I read an article a day and then assessed this using PESTLE.

Social media:
• The Corporate Law Academy
• Legal and the City
• Simple Politics
• The Business Update
• LinkedIn (use the save post feature if you find a post of interest that you may want to come back to later)

Newsletters:
• The Business Update
• Finimize
• The Corporate Law Academy Newsletter
• Watson’s Daily

Podcasts:
• Wake up to Money
• The Bottom Line

If you have a particular area of interest that you may want to bring up in an interview, make sure you know it inside out. Podcasts are by nature a great way of getting exposure to different opinions and forming your own.

Books:
• Know the City – Chris Stoakes
• All You Need to Know About Commercial Awareness – Chris Stoakes
• Commercial Awareness Handbook – Jake Schogger

Hope this is useful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.73%
Better than expected (146)
20.05%
Worse than expected (402)
55.22%

Watched Threads