seruzachan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lawcalling)
This is just a brief outline of what I went over, but I'm sure other applicants will have gone about this differently. Also, the content of AC's varies massively - make sure to do your research beforehand so you know the type of topics/scenarios that may come up. Organisations such as Rare, Aspiring Solicitors, TCLA (especially their ‘Interview Experiences’ section) and past candidates may be able to give further advice on what to expect.

Areas of understanding for interview:
• Raising finance (debt vs equity financing) (and advantages/disadvantages of each)
• Basic understanding of M&A
• Share purchase vs asset purchase (and advantages/disadvantages of each)
• Key terms such as indemnities, warranties and restrictive covenants
• Key contracts such as a Sale and Purchase Agreement, Non-Disclosure Agreement and Lock-out Agreement
• Basic understanding of insolvency (look at TCLA's previous Instagram story)
• Basic knowledge of contract law (only if you are a law student)
• Basic understanding of competition
• Different business structures (and advantages/disadvantages of each)

It's also probably a good idea to have a basic understanding of COVID and Brexit and the effects it will have on the firm and its clients.

Newspapers/News Sources:
• The Guardian
• BBC
• The Business Insider
• The Financial Times

I read an article a day and then assessed this using PESTLE.

Social media:
• The Corporate Law Academy
• Legal and the City
• Simple Politics
• The Business Update
• LinkedIn (use the save post feature if you find a post of interest that you may want to come back to later)

Newsletters:
• The Business Update
• Finimize
• The Corporate Law Academy Newsletter
• Watson’s Daily

Podcasts:
• Wake up to Money
• The Bottom Line

If you have a particular area of interest that you may want to bring up in an interview, make sure you know it inside out. Podcasts are by nature a great way of getting exposure to different opinions and forming your own.

Books:
• Know the City – Chris Stoakes
• All You Need to Know About Commercial Awareness – Chris Stoakes
• Commercial Awareness Handbook – Jake Schogger

Hope this is useful!
Thank you so much!
natalka1411
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Anyone heard from White & Case? They posted tips for VI on instagram and I was wondering if they have sent out invites yet. Thanks!
Last edited by natalka1411; 2 weeks ago
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by natalka1411)
Anyone heard from White & Case? They posted tips for VI on instagram and I was wondering if they have sent out invites yet. Thanks!
I have a few friends who recently applied and they’ve not heard anything to date. I don’t think White have interviewed or dealt with their spring vacation scheme students yet, so you may be waiting a while!
natalka1411
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have a few friends who recently applied and they’ve not heard anything to date. I don’t think White have interviewed or dealt with their spring vacation scheme students yet, so you may be waiting a while!
Ok, Thank you!
Floeyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cityblonde)
Any advice for the TC interview at Freshfields and the TC conversion interview at CC (after the vac scheme)? Thank you!
Has anyone heard back from Freshfields after the WGT, this for the direct TC?
lawcalling
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Floeyyyy)
Has anyone heard back from Freshfields after the WGT, this for the direct TC?
A friend on the vac told me direct TC interviews started at the end of July. They’ll run for a month or so though so I wouldn’t read into it too much.
Last edited by lawcalling; 1 week ago
Floeyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So do you think that they have given out all the interview slots already? I haven’t had a rejection email yet either
lawcalling
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So do you think that they have given out all the interview slots already? I haven’t had a rejection email yet either
Hard to tell, especially since this year is unpredecented in terms of online recruitment. I had friends who were invited to interview mid-August last year, so there’s still time.
Floeyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hard to tell, especially since this year is unpredecented in terms of online recruitment. I had friends who were invited to interview mid-August last year, so there’s still time.
Ok I see well I’ve got my fingers crossed still hoping I might hear back soon
h0pefulstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok I see well I’ve got my fingers crossed still hoping I might hear back soon
I don't know in terms of inviting people to interview but we were told on FF vac scheme that we'll only hear back once all direct TC interviews have finished at the end of August, so they're still got a few more weeks of interviews. For the VS interviews I think I got my invitation 2/3 weeks before the interview itself, if that helps (and mine was one of the last interviews).
Floeyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by h0pefulstudent)
I don't know in terms of inviting people to interview but we were told on FF vac scheme that we'll only hear back once all direct TC interviews have finished at the end of August, so they're still got a few more weeks of interviews. For the VS interviews I think I got my invitation 2/3 weeks before the interview itself, if that helps (and mine was one of the last interviews).
Thank you for that. I just thought I would have heard back either yes or no by now as it’s nearly 2 weeks since I took the WGT
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just hard a (challenging, but also fun, somewhat) AC for BCLP

Waiting to hear back from Freshfields, White & Case.. Seeing others get WGT for FF, so I'm conscious of being rejected. But patience!

Good luck all
emmalaw23
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Blancosdos)
Just hard a (challenging, but also fun, somewhat) AC for BCLP

Waiting to hear back from Freshfields, White & Case.. Seeing others get WGT for FF, so I'm conscious of being rejected. But patience!

Good luck all
When did you hear back from BCLP?
I applied in Jan and haven’t heard back yet, do you know if they have completed all their ACs?
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emmalaw23)
When did you hear back from BCLP?
I applied in Jan and haven’t heard back yet, do you know if they have completed all their ACs?
Heard last Thursday! I completed my app on the deadline day(June 15th).

Um..no idea if they have completed AC's. They said they will reply within 2 weeks... so guessing there are some AC's left? Good luck!
AtticusF
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Has anyone heard from Slaughter and May for their TC? I applied for the January deadline! And has anyone heard back from White & Case TC?
ihatetheWGT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Has anyone heard back from TC applications for Travers Smith or Macfarlanes?
CharleneH87
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ihatetheWGT)
Has anyone heard back from TC applications for Travers Smith or Macfarlanes?
I had not one.. but two rejection emails a week apart for Macfarlanes, the last one being a couple days ago.. i guess they really really didnt want me still waiting to hear from dentons... anyone heard anything?
Floeyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Anyone had an update from Freshfields recently?
lawcalling
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Anyone had an update from Freshfields recently?
A number of my friends have had WG’s - some even receiving them on Friday, so they’re still going out. Interviews started in the last week of July by the looks of things and will probably last for a few more weeks based on when last years ACs ran until.
natalka1411
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by AtticusF)
Has anyone heard from Slaughter and May for their TC? I applied for the January deadline! And has anyone heard back from White & Case TC?
Nothing from White & Case yet. I didn’t apply to Slaughter and May so can’t help here sorry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (172)
24.75%
Better than expected (145)
20.86%
Worse than expected (378)
54.39%

Watched Threads