The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

University admission

Hello, I have applied to University again this year with the same grades I applied with the previous year. Last year I received a place on the history course, however this year I only managed to get a place on the humanities foundation year. I already feel a little bit behind and I would much rather get started with my university course. I have 118 UCAS points and the amount needed for the history course is 120. I obviously understand that I don't have enough, however having to do a foundation year just seems ridiculous especially when I was given a place the year before. I have been in touch with the university admissions and I have been told they will only reconsider my application if my UCAS points were to go up. Whilst I understand this, how am I supposed to increase my UCAS points? I feel like I don't have time to gain anymore UCAS points in such a short amount of time and even if I had resat one of my exams from last year that would have been cancelled anyways. I feel like the best option might be for me to try applying through clearing since I am not very far away from the points needed. If anyone has any advice for me that would be appreciated. thanks finn :smile:
Original post by finnlayyyyy
Hello, I have applied to University again this year with the same grades I applied with the previous year. Last year I received a place on the history course, however this year I only managed to get a place on the humanities foundation year. I already feel a little bit behind and I would much rather get started with my university course. I have 118 UCAS points and the amount needed for the history course is 120. I obviously understand that I don't have enough, however having to do a foundation year just seems ridiculous especially when I was given a place the year before. I have been in touch with the university admissions and I have been told they will only reconsider my application if my UCAS points were to go up. Whilst I understand this, how am I supposed to increase my UCAS points? I feel like I don't have time to gain anymore UCAS points in such a short amount of time and even if I had resat one of my exams from last year that would have been cancelled anyways. I feel like the best option might be for me to try applying through clearing since I am not very far away from the points needed. If anyone has any advice for me that would be appreciated. thanks finn :smile:

I would just use clearing. there are likely to be more placers this year. Also by pulling out its a gamble and they may rethink.
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I would just use clearing. there are likely to be more placers this year. Also by pulling out its a gamble and they may rethink.

Thanks for your response. Yeah I was thinking clearing is probs my best bet. It isn't really a gamble though since I can go through the clearing process whilst keeping my place on the foundation year. Unless you're referring to the fact I rejected my offer last year and received a worse offer this year.
Thanks for your response. Yeah I was thinking clearing is probs my best bet. It isn't really a gamble though since I can go through the clearing process whilst keeping my place on the foundation year. Unless you're referring to the fact I rejected my offer last year and received a worse offer this year.

You cant enter clearing unless you hold no offers. You should check if the foundation is exempted.
afaik the only way you can shop around like that is if you go through adjustment, which isn't relevant to you since that's for pre-qualification candidates who go on to exceed their firm offer.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
You cant enter clearing unless you hold no offers. You should check if the foundation is exempted.

Hmm that is strange. I was able to call universities last year and receive places whilst keeping my place at northumbria. Yeah I might check if it's different with foundation years. I'm not sure whether I'm getting myself confused because I think there is like a clearing thing on UCAS which you have to apply to and stuff. So I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. I just assumed that calling up Universities once clearing opened was what clearing is.
Hmm that is strange. I was able to call universities last year and receive places whilst keeping my place at northumbria. Yeah I might check if it's different with foundation years. I'm not sure whether I'm getting myself confused because I think there is like a clearing thing on UCAS which you have to apply to and stuff. So I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. I just assumed that calling up Universities once clearing opened was what clearing is.

Yes clearing is an official system whereby ucas administers all the courses still to fill. You can ask unis as well bit you are meant to use clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending