The Student Room Group

Home Schooling A Levels

Hi guys,
I was just wondering how people have gone about doing A Levels from home with regards to revising, learning new things and exams? I left school in Year 13 with a couple of months left to go and am trying to get back in to it. However, I work full time and cannot afford to stop working.
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by kaitlinnelson555
Hi guys,
I was just wondering how people have gone about doing A Levels from home with regards to revising, learning new things and exams? I left school in Year 13 with a couple of months left to go and am trying to get back in to it. However, I work full time and cannot afford to stop working.
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about for a Sept to Nov 2020 target or later?
You are going to have to decide on what your priorities are and whether your A levels mean anything. You make a plan to make best use of the time left.
Looking for a June 2021 exam date ideally. I’ve done 2 years worth of the work now it is more just the exams and keeping on top of the work
As a mature uni applicant, I left college 19 years ago. I have a full time job which is 2 hours from home. I live on my own (which helps) but I do have cats (doesnt help, as the breed is like a toddler and a monkey rolled into one).
Here's what I did...I set myself a timetable, and I work to it. If I dont, it dont work. Problem with going back to study, is not finding the time (we work 9 hours, sleep 6 to 8 hours...plenty of time), but cutting back on play time (social hours).
Set yourself a timetable. Download a syllubus. Study in a quiet environment. At lunch times, pen in one hand, eyes on the book, sandwich in your mouth and make notes. You come home, shower, eat, walk the dog, whatever...but you want another 2 hours minimum of study. At the end of each section...make notes.
For example...I was doing biology and chemistry (started in September, home study, no distance learning - i cant do tutorials), at the end of each section, I would make notes "monomers make polymers, condensation reaction, oxygen released...". This way, you are learning and noting, and creating yourself revision notes at the same time to use later. At the weekend, squeeze in 8-10 hours (with an hour break).
Its just about being disciplined...set yourself weekly and monthly goals. I was doing two alevel sciences...so I allowed myself 3 months of study per topic. I spent 6 hours daily in the book, weekend was more. And for the last 10 days, whilst doing revision for assessments, I have not watched any tv at all.
Its hard, but if you have a visual timetable, it can work...as long as you are disciplined and strict. I do have to remind myself that my friends wont make a medic out of me, or offer me a uni place...

Quick Reply

Latest