College Admissions Scandal: Does this happen in the UK?

Watch this thread
jemima0103
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I was reading about the American College Admissions Scandal, in which wealthy parents paid large bribes, faked applications and cheated on tests in order for their children to go to prestigious universities, and I was wondering if similar things to this ever happen in the UK?
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Very likely, but not close to as common
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jemima0103)
So I was reading about the American College Admissions Scandal, in which wealthy parents paid large bribes, faked applications and cheated on tests in order for their children to go to prestigious universities, and I was wondering if similar things to this ever happen in the UK?
Our rules surrounding philanthropy are completely different to those in the US, so parents can't 'buy' their way in through donations. We also tend not to have special tests to enter university, it's based on school exams, so while you can get tutoring, you can't routinely cheat your way through them. Schools run both the exams and the application process.

So no, very different systems.
The RAR
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
No, we are not some backwards country that relies on gentrification like America
Last edited by The RAR; 2 years ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
I dont believe its yet been uncovered.
Am sure the donation thing happens to get in that way.
The admissions scandal concerned actual test cheating, exam replacing and fraud.
I cant recall it happening.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Is this about Lori Loughlin?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Given that the UK operates a different admissions process/system to the USA, I don't think it would as easy by any means.

Even if your parents were best friends with an academic at the university you wanted to study in, they wouldn't necessarily have much (or any) sway in who gets accepted. Admissions tutors would be the ones to do that. Too many people would then need to be involved, which would increase the risk of getting caught.
jemima0103
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Is this about Lori Loughlin?
She was involved, but there was a lot of other rich parents who did it too. The media just made her the headline focus though
Theloniouss
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It's harder in the UK because we don't have the same: good at sports get in free, good at music get in free, terrible test system etc. that makes this sort of thing very easy in the US.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
24.24%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (10)
30.3%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
6.06%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
9.09%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
18.18%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
6.06%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads