Clinical Psychology with 2.2

Watch this thread
aspimd
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! Anyone know if Clinical Psychology Masters with a 2.2 is achievable? I have research assistant experience (not much, in uni, but i can get a reference), hospital work experience (although theatre, operations and that), doc shadowing, volunteering in two places (hospice & another project with children), and a possible project assistant internship (still waiting for a response). How realistic is that?
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aimxur)
Hi! Anyone know if Clinical Psychology Masters with a 2.2 is achievable? I have research assistant experience (not much, in uni, but i can get a reference), hospital work experience (although theatre, operations and that), doc shadowing, volunteering in two places (hospice & another project with children), and a possible project assistant internship (still waiting for a response). How realistic is that?
It is certainly achievable, you will need to look at the universities and their entry requirements as every uni will differ with what they ask for. Have you looked at UCAS?
aspimd
Rep:
(Original post by Hazelly)
It is certainly achievable, you will need to look at the universities and their entry requirements as every uni will differ with what they ask for. Have you looked at UCAS?
Hi! I'm the process of looking at unis, currently at Coventry who seems to generally request 2.2s than 2.1s (maybe cause it's a bit more expensive?). I don't even know if masters are open still for applications? And whether you apply through ucas? (not researched this as i did not think i'd ever get in)
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
do you mean DClinPsych or clinical based masters, or both!?
Lord Asriel
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Getting onto a Clinical psychology related Master's degree with a 2:2 is possible, albeit depending on where you want to study and how much demand there is for a particular course. Although having a MSc doesn't allow you to practice or call yourself a clinical psychologist (protected term), historically many who have a 2:2 have done a master's to show academic achievement by obtaining distinctions or merits.

Today, the picture is slightly different if you want to go onto a DClinPsy. Due to the ever increasing competition, a lot of DClinPsy programmes will automatically discount 2:2s (even with Masters degrees or PhDs afterwards) just to manage the huge pile of applications all of whom have great experience, personal skills and academic achievements. Other courses that do accept 2:2s may use a selection task as a pre-selection measures, which is really difficult in itself.

Also another thing to consider is how tough it may be to get relevant paid experience with a 2:2. It's great you have some experience already, but a lot of hiring panels for clinical psychology related posts such as Assistant Psychologist will automatically reject applications with 2:2s. I and my colleagues had to do this the last time we hired for an AP post, as 2:2s were conspicious by their rarity and a easy, transparant and consistent way of narrow down the field to managable levels. (The next time we hire the other psychologist on my team actually wants to just limit applications to Firsts, but I am not too keen on that).
aspimd
Rep:
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
do you mean DClinPsych or clinical based masters, or both!?
I mean masters
aspimd
Rep:
(Original post by Lord Asriel)
Getting onto a Clinical psychology related Master's degree with a 2:2 is possible, albeit depending on where you want to study and how much demand there is for a particular course. Although having a MSc doesn't allow you to practice or call yourself a clinical psychologist (protected term), historically many who have a 2:2 have done a master's to show academic achievement by obtaining distinctions or merits.

Today, the picture is slightly different if you want to go onto a DClinPsy. Due to the ever increasing competition, a lot of DClinPsy programmes will automatically discount 2:2s (even with Masters degrees or PhDs afterwards) just to manage the huge pile of applications all of whom have great experience, personal skills and academic achievements. Other courses that do accept 2:2s may use a selection task as a pre-selection measures, which is really difficult in itself.

Also another thing to consider is how tough it may be to get relevant paid experience with a 2:2. It's great you have some experience already, but a lot of hiring panels for clinical psychology related posts such as Assistant Psychologist will automatically reject applications with 2:2s. I and my colleagues had to do this the last time we hired for an AP post, as 2:2s were conspicious by their rarity and a easy, transparant and consistent way of narrow down the field to managable levels. (The next time we hire the other psychologist on my team actually wants to just limit applications to Firsts, but I am not too keen on that).
Hey! thank you for your reply! what would the path for a clinical psychologist be? i was under the impression i'd only need a masters and then i could get a job as an assistant psychologist, but by what you're saying that's not true what is the path that is expected?
Lord Asriel
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aimxur)
Hey! thank you for your reply! what would the path for a clinical psychologist be? i was under the impression i'd only need a masters and then i could get a job as an assistant psychologist, but by what you're saying that's not true what is the path that is expected?
There is no straightforward, single path for clinical psychology. In theory, all you must have is an accredited psychology undergraduate degree (3 years), a year of relevant experience and a Doctorate of Clinical psychology (3 years).

However, because psychology degrees are fairly easy to get onto, but there is a very small number of DClinpsy places, the vast majority of people have far more than this. Look at this thread to see the variety of routes people take after their undergraduate degrees https://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/vie...php?f=32&t=145

As for an Assistant Psychologist post, you could apply for one straight out of undergrad, but it would be unlikely you would be successful with your degree alone. You would be up against people who have a range of different relevant experiences and who may have been assistant psychologists before. Having a MSc may play a small role in helping towards that goal (especially if it includes a placement with practicing clinical psychologists), but it will be a small part of the story along with relevant experience, being able to write a good application form, understanding the NHS context, demonstrating core skills required for the role, and being able to be good at interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads