SeveralBadgers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,

My partner (24) lives with her parents and has applied to student finance for the academic year 2020-2021. She will be living in halls during term time, and with her parents outside of that.

I live independently in the same city as her university (but not her parents), working full time. If she lives with me in her second year, will I need to provide details of my income to support her application? We are neither married, nor in a civil partnership. She will turn 25 before the next academic year.

Thanks
Last edited by SeveralBadgers; 4 months ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SeveralBadgers)
Hi,

My partner (24) lives with her parents and has applied to student finance for the academic year 2020-2021. She will be living in halls during term time, and with her parents outside of that.

I live independently in the same city as her university (but not her parents), working full time. If she lives with me in her second year, will I need to provide details of my income to support her application? We are neither married, nor in a civil partnership. She will turn 25 before the next academic year.
Hi there, if she turns 25 before the 01/09/2020 then you will need to support her application if she wants to receive the higher rate of funding.
Thanks, Isaac
SeveralBadgers
Rep:
?
Hi Isaac,

Sorry, I see now that what I wrote wasn't clear. She will turn 25 during the 2020-2021 academic year. Will she need to reapply next year because of that, and will I need to support her application?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi Isaac,

Sorry, I see now that what I wrote wasn't clear. She will turn 25 during the 2020-2021 academic year. Will she need to reapply next year because of that, and will I need to support her application?
If she turns 25 after the 01/09/2020 then her parents must support her application or she must meet the independent student http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5 criteria.
Thanks, Isaac
SeveralBadgers
Rep:
?
Hi Isaac,

I realise I'm not being very clear again, sorry. She has applied successfully for this academic year with her parents supporting the application.

Assuming that come my partner chooses to live full time at my address in the academic year 2021-2022, having lived in halls supported by her parents in the academic year 2020-2021:
1. Will she need to notify Student Finance of a change of arrangements and reapply for the maintenance loan for the academic year 2021-2022?
2. If so, will I need to support her application in 2021 with my income details, as her parents have done in 2020?

The details I think are pertinent to the question are:
* She will be 25 years old at the start of the academic year 2021-2022 (and thus an independent student according to the crtieria)
* We are not, and will not be, married or in a civil partnership at that time

If there are any more details you might need, please let me know.

Regards,
Andy
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi Isaac,

I realise I'm not being very clear again, sorry. She has applied successfully for this academic year with her parents supporting the application.

Assuming that come my partner chooses to live full time at my address in the academic year 2021-2022, having lived in halls supported by her parents in the academic year 2020-2021:
1. Will she need to notify Student Finance of a change of arrangements and reapply for the maintenance loan for the academic year 2021-2022?
2. If so, will I need to support her application in 2021 with my income details, as her parents have done in 2020?

The details I think are pertinent to the question are:
* She will be 25 years old at the start of the academic year 2021-2022 (and thus an independent student according to the crtieria)
* We are not, and will not be, married or in a civil partnership at that time

If there are any more details you might need, please let me know.

Regards,
Andy
1. When she applies for the 21/22 year, the system will realise she is 25, she must state "living with partner" on the application and then you will be asked to support the application, there is nothing else she would have to change on the application.
2. You only need to support her application if you marry her or if she is 25 years old before the 01/09 (start of the academic year) so as you say she will be 25 before the 01/09/2021 then yes you will need to support her next year but as she is under 25 this year, her parents still need to support her application.

Thanks, Isaac
SeveralBadgers
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
1. When she applies for the 21/22 year, the system will realise she is 25, she must state "living with partner" on the application and then you will be asked to support the application, there is nothing else she would have to change on the application.
2. You only need to support her application if you marry her or if she is 25 years old before the 01/09 (start of the academic year) so as you say she will be 25 before the 01/09/2021 then yes you will need to support her next year but as she is under 25 this year, her parents still need to support her application.

Thanks, Isaac
Perfect, that explains it nice and clearly. Thanks, Isaac
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Perfect, that explains it nice and clearly. Thanks, Isaac
You're welcome got there in the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.58%
I'm not sure (8)
3.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (85)
36.8%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (98)
42.42%

Watched Threads