The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Selly Oak accommodation

Hi, I'm looking at accommodation for the University of Birmingham and was just wondering what Selly Oak was like for a first year student? I've heard that The Vale is the main area for first years but does that mean that Selly Oak would be a bit dead and should I try to avoid it?
Reply 1
Overall I think it depends on what your flat is like. Selly Oak accommodation is definitely less social than the Vale but that doesn't mean it should be avoided. I made some really good friends at Bournbrook. I think Jarratt Hall is quite social. I thonk Selly Oak is usually less social because there are much fewer people there compared to the Vale. There are still plenty of events run in Selly Oak though, and it's only a 15 minute walk up to the Vale if you have lots of friends there. Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have any other questions. :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by _Arianna
Overall I think it depends on what your flat is like. Selly Oak accommodation is definitely less social than the Vale but that doesn't mean it should be avoided. I made some really good friends at Bournbrook. I think Jarratt Hall is quite social. I thonk Selly Oak is usually less social because there are much fewer people there compared to the Vale. There are still plenty of events run in Selly Oak though, and it's only a 15 minute walk up to the Vale if you have lots of friends there. Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have any other questions. :smile:

Thank you, that’s helpful. Bournbrook was the one I was considering, what was it like for you?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, that’s helpful. Bournbrook was the one I was considering, what was it like for you?

The rooms and communal space is really nice. The proximity to campus (and Aldi) is definitely a huge selling point of Bournbrook too. I would say that quite a lot of students at Bournbrook tend to keep to themselves though, at least in my case. I suppose it depends on the cohort though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending