Is small government a good idea?

Watch
CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I think that small government is a very good idea because the smaller the government the bigger the person. There are some exceptions however, and vital services like the NHS, and social care, and housing, courts, the Police, and military, public schools, etc, should remain under state control. What do you think?
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People like a bloated government, makes them feel like mummy and daddy are still looking after them
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Indifferent to the idea but given your definition of small government already seems vast, well...
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
People like a bloated government, makes them feel like mummy and daddy are still looking after them
Ha I wish, my parents would voluntarily defenestrate themselves if their competence was compared to a governments.
username5252758
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
True.

You've just got to look at the current Conservative government with their love of fiscal irresponsibility, squandering cash, paternalism, micromanaging, and bureaucracy.

This is what the people voted for.
Last edited by username5252758; 1 year ago
CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Ghost)
True.

You've just got to look at the current Conservative government with their love of fiscal irresponsibility, squandering cash, paternalism, micromanaging, and bureaucracy.

This is what the people voted for.
Exactly. That seems a tad Marxist to me.

Technically no, they simply voted for a Conservative government. They didn't vote for all that ****.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CletusPotter)
I think that small government is a very good idea because the smaller the government the bigger the person. There are some exceptions however, and vital services like the NHS, and social care, and housing, courts, the Police, and military, public schools, etc, should remain under state control. What do you think?
It depends on what you mean by small government. You could have a small government and farm off the rest to the private sector. In some ways this is not good because the private sector is only interested in making money. As a result, minorities lose out because they are not deemed economically viable. (See rural bus routes for example).

However, you can still have a small government and devolve power to the regions. This is not a bad idea because it means local people can make decisions that affect them. I think the pandemic is a perfect example of where this would work very well. The virus is behaving differently in different regions and one policy does not necessarily fit all. Similarly, workers like teachers feel very dis empowered and are therefore waiting for Boris Johnson to personally say how they should work because they are unable to make those decisions for themselves.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CletusPotter)
Big government Vs small government is a very American argument and not one often made in the UK. We have a different political sensibility and that definition doesn't suit it, it's far too simplistic and reductionist - it's why the Americans like it.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean, minimal and efficient bureaucracy is certainly desirable, and certainly something no government achieves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (144)
42.73%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.93%

Watched Threads