16 almost 17 and still no phone yet : (

Watch
This discussion is closed.
gbird04
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently 16 years old and this fall I turn 17 and I STILL don't have a phone! Why you ask? I really don't know my parents don't give me a good reason all they tell me is "You don't need a phone" And it's so annoying and it's embarrassing for me, here I am almost 17 and all of my friends have phones or have had them for a long time. What do I even do? If anyone buys me a phone, I would literally cry in tears of joy.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Im 16 too, and my parents do the same thing.
Parenting kids with a phone is very hard to do. Your parents may just not be ready.
Seems you have a computer though? Just try and be grateful you have that
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
phones are dumb and you don't need them - a smartphone owner
Mustafa0605
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don’t even have a non-smart phone?
gbird04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
You don’t even have a non-smart phone?
Nope, Not even a flip phone or anything, nothin
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gbird04)
Nope, Not even a flip phone or anything, nothin
Do you get dropped off to school/sixth form ? If you make your own journey you can make a very solid case for needing a phone in case of an emergency or getting lost etc
Tash8790
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your nearly 17 get a job and get one
gbird04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tash8790)
Your nearly 17 get a job and get one
I do have one, but my parents wont let me but one myself, they tell me to save my money
Tash8790
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just tell them it’s your money they sound quite toxic they can’t control what you do with it
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
go to the shop.

buy yourself a phone.

hide it when at home.

/problem solved. close thread.
twinklelittlstar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you tried asking your parents about why they don't let you have a phone? There's gotta be some reasoning behind that.
_Charlotte21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
phones are dumb and you don't need them - a smartphone owner
I agree, I wouldn't be in any hurry to get a phone any time soon. I get that it's one of the mod cons and especially amongst teens with the likes of instagram and tik tok but, it just fills your life with pointless noise. I think you'll be thankful when you're in your twenties that you didn't grow up with some of the drivel that is on social media (but that's just my view).
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I might be alone in this opinion, but I actually think it's quite abusive not to allow you to get a phone. Fair enough if they don't want to pay for one - but stopping you from buying one with your own money isn't on. It's making it harder for you to keep in touch with your friends, and isolating you. I don't understand why your parents would do this. Fair enough if you're 12/13, but at 16 I think you're old enough to make decisions about how to spend your own money.
username5261028
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buy yourself a phone??? Don’t beg on the internet
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do have one, but my parents wont let me but one myself, they tell me to save my money
My parents were like this and I literally went to the shop and bought an iPhone with my own money. They got over it in 2 days.
AndrewK373
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently 16 years old and this fall I turn 17 and I STILL don't have a phone! Why you ask? I really don't know my parents don't give me a good reason all they tell me is "You don't need a phone" And it's so annoying and it's embarrassing for me, here I am almost 17 and all of my friends have phones or have had them for a long time. What do I even do? If anyone buys me a phone, I would literally cry in tears of joy.
Just by one mate you have a job as well
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
i feel you! I'm in the exact same position as you. I'm starting sixth form in September and dreading it because of this.
Legomenon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how are you still alive?
Hoodlum123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm 16 and I envy you. Having a phone has been the downfall of my life. Wish my parents made the same decision.
ruby1029
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe they're the kind of folks who sees technology as a threat. You're turning 17 maybe you can get a job and buy your own
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads