Going on holiday in the Easter holidays before my GCSE exams

Watch
username564368
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Me and my family were thinking about going on a city break for about 3 days to somewhere in Spain, during the Easter holidays before my GCSE exams. I can’t see me wanting to much revision at all, whilst I’m there, which is making me think I shouldn’t go. I did however pick Spanish as one of my options so going to Spain might help me with my Spanish speaking, reading and listening. I’d really appreciate anyone’s advice on whether I should go or need to stay at home to revise.

ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only you know if you would actually use the opportunity to speak Spanish while there - there wouldn't be much reading on a city break and listening would be a challenge as you will find that locals speak very fast, with accents nothing like your Spanish teacher!
DD did quite a lot in the Easter before GCSEs (lambing, a music competition which required an overnight stay and a 3 day taster at Cambridge vet school). These were all booked in well in advance and she planned her revision around it - none could be done at any other time so it was attend or lose the opportunity. It did not affect her results negatively but she had worked very hard before and after the Easter break.
If the break would be relaxing amid a time of lots of revision then that might be quite nice - only you know your work ethic.
Last edited by ReadingMum; 1 month ago
username564368
Rep:
?
Thank you for your advice. I definitely agree that listening especially would be difficult for me, with locals speaking at a very fast pace and the only reading I’d be able to do is probably menus or signs, which wouldn’t really help me with exams. I think my work ethic is good and having those couple of days off might help me, especially if I do a little more revision in the couple of days before and after the break. I could also bring some revision things to productivity pass the time on the 2 hour flights.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I assume it is next Easter, so you can plan ahead, and if it is for a language you are learning, you will benefit. I think you should go.
username564368
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
I assume it is next Easter, so you can plan ahead, and if it is for a language you are learning, you will benefit. I think you should go.
Thank you. That’s what I thought. I think that I’ll do some extra revision in the days around my break so that I can make sure that the break won’t effect my other school studies.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username564368)
Me and my family were thinking about going on a city break for about 3 days to somewhere in Spain, during the Easter holidays before my GCSE exams. I can’t see me wanting to much revision at all, whilst I’m there, which is making me think I shouldn’t go. I did however pick Spanish as one of my options so going to Spain might help me with my Spanish speaking, reading and listening. I’d really appreciate anyone’s advice on whether I should go or need to stay at home to revise.
Hello username564368!

I'd definitely take the opportunity to go!
You know now that you will be going so like other posters have said you can plan your revision around the break.

It will be nice to clear your head and have a break from revision for a few days, 3 days isn't too long either!
Then when you come back you can start afresh and continue your revision

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you. That’s what I thought. I think that I’ll do some extra revision in the days around my break so that I can make sure that the break won’t effect my other school studies.
Might you miss school revision sessions? We run them in the Easter holidays ...
Export kid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't imagine 3 days will make all that much difference. Just revise in your school time and dont stress about going on holiday. A relaxing break might do you good heading into exam season
username564368
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Thanks for your comment. The trip my family has planned only is for three days, with two days of it being at the weekend (I assume that my school wouldn’t run revision sessions at weekends), which would mean that I’d only be missing 1 day of revision sessions. Based on the fact that my trip should really boost my Spanish speaking and conversational skills, I think that the one day of sessions I’d miss would probably not effect my revision at all. I also plan to attend all others available and do much larger amounts of revision than my school would recommend we do. I think that I should remember too that my family is planning a 3 day trip, two days of it at the weekend, during my school ‘holidays’, so I should be embracing the opportunity for a little rest, in the middle of doing large amounts of work.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your comment. The trip my family has planned only is for three days, with two days of it being at the weekend (I assume that my school wouldn’t run revision sessions at weekends), which would mean that I’d only be missing 1 day of revision sessions. Based on the fact that my trip should really boost my Spanish speaking and conversational skills, I think that the one day of sessions I’d miss would probably not effect my revision at all. I also plan to attend all others available and do much larger amounts of revision than my school would recommend we do. I think that I should remember too that my family is planning a 3 day trip, two days of it at the weekend, during my school ‘holidays’, so I should be embracing the opportunity for a little rest, in the middle of doing large amounts of work.
It's not just the days you are away - you will be tired and there's lots to do to get ready for a holiday.

Why not wait until after exams in late June/early July?
username564368
Rep:
?
It's not just the days you are away - you will be tired and there's lots to do to get ready for a holiday.

Why not wait until after exams in late June/early July?
Hi, thanks for responding. My family have said that they’re planning on the trip being really relaxed and slow paced because they want me to recharge during the days we’d be on our trip, whilst I’m doing so much revision. They’ve also said that they’ll be getting everything ready for the trip so all I’d need to do is pack a bag, which will probably take me an hour at the most. They think that the date in the Easter holidays would be good so that I can practice my conversational and reading Spanish skills for my GCSE exams in Spanish, so I’d kind of be defeating the objective of the trip if I was to got after my exams, if you get what I mean. I think that I’ve made my mind up, and will tell them to go ahead with it, but thanks for your comments as you’ve given me lots to consider.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, thanks for responding. My family have said that they’re planning on the trip being really relaxed and slow paced because they want me to recharge during the days we’d be on our trip, whilst I’m doing so much revision. They’ve also said that they’ll be getting everything ready for the trip so all I’d need to do is pack a bag, which will probably take me an hour at the most. They think that the date in the Easter holidays would be good so that I can practice my conversational and reading Spanish skills for my GCSE exams in Spanish, so I’d kind of be defeating the objective of the trip if I was to got after my exams, if you get what I mean. I think that I’ve made my mind up, and will tell them to go ahead with it, but thanks for your comments as you’ve given me lots to consider.
OK - but it really is the wrong time for this sort of break. You won't be happy next year when you get back ...

It won't help your speaking as you aren't there long enough - for all you know your oral exam could be before Easter!
username564368
Rep:
?
OK - but it really is the wrong time for this sort of break. You won't be happy next year when you get back ...

It won't help your speaking as you aren't there long enough - for all you know your oral exam could be before Easter!
Hi, I’ve checked and my speaking exam is definitely after the Easter holiday. Could you tell me why you think that it will be the wrong time for this sort of break, please? I will be doing all of the revision that I would be doing on those three days on other days, so I will ensure that I don’t fall behind in my studies. I think the break will actually benefit my school studies and to be fair, it is the holidays! You say that the trip won’t help my speaking skills as I won’t be there long enough but I feel like being able to successfully have a conversation with many Spanish people, will give me more confidence for my exam, which is so important especially when your examiner is stood in front of you.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’ve checked and my speaking exam is definitely after the Easter holiday. Could you tell me why you think that it will be the wrong time for this sort of break, please? I will be doing all of the revision that I would be doing on those three days on other days, so I will ensure that I don’t fall behind in my studies. I think the break will actually benefit my school studies and to be fair, it is the holidays! You say that the trip won’t help my speaking skills as I won’t be there long enough but I feel like being able to successfully have a conversation with many Spanish people, will give me more confidence for my exam, which is so important especially when your examiner is stood in front of you.
You cannot possibly know the date of your oral - schools set these within a given time from the exam board. Nothing is finalised for 2021!

I'm a teacher and have seen this situation before ...
username564368
Rep:
?
You cannot possibly know the date of your oral - schools set these within a given time from the exam board. Nothing is finalised for 2021!

I'm a teacher and have seen this situation before ...
My teacher told me that the exams are no earlier than April and I will be going on my trip at the end of March so surely I’d be okay?
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your school appears to do everything Mutters, am very jealous!
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My teacher told me that the exams are no earlier than April and I will be going on my trip at the end of March so surely I’d be okay?
Who knows what might change after this year! Dates aren't confirmed for 2021 at the moment.
username564368
Rep:
?
Who knows what might change after this year! Dates aren't confirmed for 2021 at the moment.
I completely agree with you but why would an exam board take the date of an exam further back, when year 10s have missed their most important content learning term of their courses? They would surely only change the date to later on in the year, which wouldn’t have an effect on my family’s plans.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I completely agree with you but why would an exam board take the date of an exam further back, when year 10s have missed their most important content learning term of their courses? They would surely only change the date to later on in the year, which wouldn’t have an effect on my family’s plans.
If there's still some social distancing then the orals will need to be spread over a longer time.

I'm not going to continue with this discussion as your mind seems made up - making any holiday plans seems somewhat premature anyway.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd go.
In easter holidays my family and I always went away to visit friends. About 5 days of my holiday were always not free as we were travelling/away and there was no possibility of revising. It never affected me, it's good to have some break and relax. As long as you are doing some revision around it you will be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.65%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.22%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.88%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.8%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.89%
I haven't started researching yet (47)
10.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed