peekoe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was looking through the portfolio guidelines on Bartlett's page on applications, and I was totally confused with their exact requirements. Here is what they have written: "we ask you to present a selection of no more than 20 pieces of original work". Do process sketches/anything NOT a final version of work count towards the 20? Or does the 20 only take into account finished, completed pieces? I'm based outside the UK, so I will be submitting a digital portfolio of "around 10 pages", if that matters?
evolvingarch
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by peekoe)
I was looking through the portfolio guidelines on Bartlett's page on applications, and I was totally confused with their exact requirements. Here is what they have written: "we ask you to present a selection of no more than 20 pieces of original work". Do process sketches/anything NOT a final version of work count towards the 20? Or does the 20 only take into account finished, completed pieces? I'm based outside the UK, so I will be submitting a digital portfolio of "around 10 pages", if that matters?
Hello,
I believe they are asking for 20 images which include process sketches and the like. They are not as strict as they appear, so I would also say that submitting no more than 20 pages would also apply.
For portfolios like these, the key is to curate your work. So only show your best of the best, it is damaging to show a lot of fodder within your portfolio as it will create the perception of your work/ potential not being as great as it is.
Refine and condense your work.

Hope that helps!

PS a quick tip for process sketches, if you have many you can arrange them nicely on a single page (for example, uniformly 3x4) and that can be 1 of your required 20 as opposed to 12 of your 20.
peekoe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by evolvingarch)
Hello,
I believe they are asking for 20 images which include process sketches and the like. They are not as strict as they appear, so I would also say that submitting no more than 20 pages would also apply.
For portfolios like these, the key is to curate your work. So only show your best of the best, it is damaging to show a lot of fodder within your portfolio as it will create the perception of your work/ potential not being as great as it is.
Refine and condense your work.

Hope that helps!

PS a quick tip for process sketches, if you have many you can arrange them nicely on a single page (for example, uniformly 3x4) and that can be 1 of your required 20 as opposed to 12 of your 20.
Ah I see. Thank you so much for your help! If you don't mind me asking, are/were you an architecture student?
anacmv
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
hey!could anybody please share their portfolios? or does anyone have a link to good portfolios that would be accepted by ucl?thanks!
reubenjbrown
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I'm starting at Cambridge in October (hoping I get the grades).

Totally agree with person above to say that curation is really important, and presenting your strongest work, but I would still definitely include preparatory work and sketches to show how you think about art/architecture! And understand that the '20 pieces' guidance leaves lots of room to bend the rules, and you definitely should! You won't be penalised for stretching their definitions if it means that your portfolio is lots better.

Good luck!
Last edited by 04MR17; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.92%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.42%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.42%

Watched Threads