HELP-Best citation style to use for a university essay comp?

Watch
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,

So I've entered an essay competition at Cambridge University and the deadline is soon so I need to make my bibliography and citations. I'm in Year 12 so would university students mind telling me what is the most academically suitable citation style to use? I have used the footnotes style in the past for EPQ, but I don't think this is the most 'professional' looking style if you understand what I mean.
Thank you in advance.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by chloenix)
Hi,

So I've entered an essay competition at Cambridge University and the deadline is soon so I need to make my bibliography and citations. I'm in Year 12 so would university students mind telling me what is the most academically suitable citation style to use? I have used the footnotes style in the past for EPQ, but I don't think this is the most 'professional' looking style if you understand what I mean.
Thank you in advance.
Use a well known professional style such as:
Harvard, Vancouver, IEEE, APA.
chloenix
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Use a well known professional style such as:
Harvard, Vancouver, IEEE, APA.
Ah okay thank you. What would you say is the 'easiest' to use out of those for a beginner?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by chloenix)
Ah okay thank you. What would you say is the 'easiest' to use out of those for a beginner?
Harvard or Vancouver.

Personally I prefer numeric style referencing such as Vancouver but there are other people who swear by Harvard. Neither of these is particularly complex.

I would say you could consider using a reference manager (like endnote, mendeley or zetero) with a citation tool for Microsoft word.
chloenix
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Harvard or Vancouver.

Personally I prefer numeric style referencing such as Vancouver but there are other people who swear by Harvard. Neither of these is particularly complex.

I would say you could consider using a reference manager (like endnote, mendeley or zetero) with a citation tool for Microsoft word.
Okay great thank you so so much. I will use Vancouver
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What's the subject of the essay? That will probably dictate the style required as opposed to just choosing one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (31)
19.02%
I'm not sure (3)
1.84%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (53)
32.52%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.84%
I'm not a current university student (73)
44.79%

Watched Threads