English student at Queens Uni Belfast?

Watch this thread
sadied123
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So it’s that time of year when UCAS opens for y12 (my year group) and I’m really undecided on whether to apply to QUB or not... I want to study history or history and archaeology and Belfast seems lovely, but I’ve heard so many English students say they felt like they didn’t fit in.
Apparently cliques are an issue with people who’ve all known each other forever (although I’ve been to 9 schools so I’m good at inserting myself into established friend groups) and also it’s very lonely when everyone leaves each weekend. I must admit it’s a little off putting.
Do friends sometimes take you with them for a weekend, or stay with you at uni?
Also, despite me having some Irish family two generations back, I’ve obviously got no real link to Ireland and I’ve heard from a few people that since Brexit the tension between Ireland and England has increased and I’d hate to be stuck in the middle of that, seeing as I wholeheartedly oppose Brexit and the British Governmental approach to basically everything.
If any students (English or otherwise) have any recent experience of the Uni I’d love some insight!! Thanks
Queen's University Belfast
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sadied123)
So it’s that time of year when UCAS opens for y12 (my year group) and I’m really undecided on whether to apply to QUB or not... I want to study history or history and archaeology and Belfast seems lovely, but I’ve heard so many English students say they felt like they didn’t fit in.
Apparently cliques are an issue with people who’ve all known each other forever (although I’ve been to 9 schools so I’m good at inserting myself into established friend groups) and also it’s very lonely when everyone leaves each weekend. I must admit it’s a little off putting.
Do friends sometimes take you with them for a weekend, or stay with you at uni?
Also, despite me having some Irish family two generations back, I’ve obviously got no real link to Ireland and I’ve heard from a few people that since Brexit the tension between Ireland and England has increased and I’d hate to be stuck in the middle of that, seeing as I wholeheartedly oppose Brexit and the British Governmental approach to basically everything.
If any students (English or otherwise) have any recent experience of the Uni I’d love some insight!! Thanks
Hi sadied123 :hello:

Hope you are keeping well!

Three of Queen's GB students have put together this blog and video describing their impressions of Belfast and student life in the city. You can find it here.

Hopefully this will helps a little bit!

Team Queen's
(Kachela)
Grimbles
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi 👋🏻 I’ve also applied for history as well as archaeology and history for Queen’s university Belfast and I loved Belfast when I went but there has been some worries which is quite similar like making friends since I’m from England.
Last edited by Grimbles; 1 year ago
Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Grimbles)
Hi 👋🏻 I’ve also applied for history as well as archaeology and history for Queen’s university Belfast and I loved Belfast when I went but there has been some worries which is quite similar like making friends since I’m from England.
Hi Grimbles,

Hope you are doing well!
I am a student orginally from England (London) and I am currently in my final year studying English and History at Queen's. I have had no issues making friends in Northern Ireland. There are some occassions where you might struggle with the accent or different kinds of slang but laugh about and you'll learn loads of new words. Some English students worry about the NI students going home too much and while some do it is not like the accomodation becomes a ghost town. There are still loads of people around to spend time with. There are also lots of GB and international students at Queen's. I would say that if you are really worried about making friends look into a really active club or society that meets regualrly so you can meet people in that way. I have been a member of the dance team whilst at Queen's and it is a great way to make friends.
History is a great course at Queen's and hope you will be studying here soon
Ask away if you have anymore questions

Thanks,
Team Queen's
Charlotte, Third Year, English and History
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (38)
34.55%
The paper was reasonable (43)
39.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (18)
16.36%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10%

Watched Threads