The Student Room Group

When citing, how often do you have to..cite?

Hi I've already posted something about citations on this forum today but I have another question if someone wouldn't mind answering.

So I have a whole paragraph talking about Aristotle and what he wrote in Nicomachean Ethics. At the end of the first sentence I cited (Aristotle, Ross 2009). But then the next sentence I also use a quote from that book, and then the next sentence again. Do I have to cite that same book at the end of EVERY sentence?
Reply 1
Bump
Our teacher told us to cite everything that isn't common knowledge
Just cite at the end of the paragraph once you've mentioned everything from NE. You don't need to cite every sentence, unless there's other citations between them. Do this for every new paragraph too. Though this is from APA style so could be different.

And I haven't done philosophy for a long time, but isn't NE like years old and not 2009? You may be better off referencing the original text. But I could be wrong, philosophy isn't my subject!

@gjd800 ????
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by chloenix
Hi I've already posted something about citations on this forum today but I have another question if someone wouldn't mind answering.

So I have a whole paragraph talking about Aristotle and what he wrote in Nicomachean Ethics. At the end of the first sentence I cited (Aristotle, Ross 2009). But then the next sentence I also use a quote from that book, and then the next sentence again. Do I have to cite that same book at the end of EVERY sentence?

If you use a quote, then it needs to be cited in the same sentence.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Just cite at the end of the paragraph once you've mentioned everything from NE. You don't need to cite every sentence, unless there's other citations between them. Do this for every new paragraph too. Though this is from APA style so could be different.

And I haven't done philosophy for a long time, but isn't NE like years old and not 2009? You may be better off referencing the original text. But I could be wrong, philosophy isn't my subject!

@gjd800 ????

If they're using a 2009 edition then this is normal
Reply 5

@gjd800 ????

Great thank you so much! Honestly you're a lifesaver.
And yes it's a 2009 edition. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
If you use a quote, then it needs to be cited in the same sentence.

If they're using a 2009 edition then this is normal

Okay thank you :smile:
Reply 7

This is one of the significant questions we are supposed to discuss. In answering your question, you need to bot site every sentence quote from the author. I always cite at the relatively in the middle and at the end of the same writer. For instance;-
In one study, we asked 1,145 Americans to choose between experienced happiness (“where you experience happiness on a moment-to-moment basis”) and remembered happiness (“where afterwards you will reflect back and feel happy”) for either a longer timeframe (i.e., their life overall or next year) or a shorter time frame (James and Mary, 2020). The majority of participants chose experienced happiness over remembered happiness when choosing for their life (79%) or their next year (65%). By contrast, there was a roughly even split of participants who chose experienced happiness and remembered happiness when choosing what they wanted for their next hour (49%) or day (48%). This pattern of results was not affected by individuals’ overall happiness, impulsivity, age, household income, marital status, or parental status (James and Mary, 2020).

I will also ask the support staff to help me find forum for discussing such questions, pure academics for college and university students. The essence of such request is to enable us, the students share comprehensively with almost all students in the global scope
Reply 8
Original post by Mirwai
This is one of the significant questions we are supposed to discuss. In answering your question, you need to bot site every sentence quote from the author. I always cite at the relatively in the middle and at the end of the same writer. For instance;-
In one study, we asked 1,145 Americans to choose between experienced happiness (“where you experience happiness on a moment-to-moment basis”) and remembered happiness (“where afterwards you will reflect back and feel happy”) for either a longer timeframe (i.e., their life overall or next year) or a shorter time frame (James and Mary, 2020). The majority of participants chose experienced happiness over remembered happiness when choosing for their life (79%) or their next year (65%). By contrast, there was a roughly even split of participants who chose experienced happiness and remembered happiness when choosing what they wanted for their next hour (49%) or day (48%). This pattern of results was not affected by individuals’ overall happiness, impulsivity, age, household income, marital status, or parental status (James and Mary, 2020).

I will also ask the support staff to help me find forum for discussing such questions, pure academics for college and university students. The essence of such request is to enable us, the students share comprehensively with almost all students in the global scope

Great thank you I am literally doing it right now :smile:

Hey,

I would cite the whole paragraph at the beginning so maybe by beginning that part with something like In the book ...... by Aristotle he talks about ...... and whenever you take a text that is copy and paste in any part of the paragraph make sure you use " " quotation marks so that they are aware of what parts are taken word for word.

Just as @Noodlzzz said, you could also just choose to site it all once at the end but no need to cite every sentence.

Hope this helps.
Doreen-maria- Official student Rep 😀
Reply 10
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey,

I would cite the whole paragraph at the beginning so maybe by beginning that part with something like In the book ...... by Aristotle he talks about ...... and whenever you take a text that is copy and paste in any part of the paragraph make sure you use " " quotation marks so that they are aware of what parts are taken word for word.

Just as @Noodlzzz said, you could also just choose to site it all once at the end but no need to cite every sentence.

Hope this helps.
Doreen-maria- Official student Rep 😀

Thanks!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest