The Student Room Group

What things can a girl do to make herself more attractive?

I am an 18yr old black girl,- groom well, and ensure all of my clothes are form fitting, furthermore I am overweight but I am working on this and I am down 10bls already. I wont stop my diet and excersize til I reach a weight I am comfortable with. But boys see me as the 'little innocent sister' (I have literally been told this) and I am tired of being viewed this way. I know people say weight may be a huge factor however, girls even bigger than me has successfully gotten boyfriends I just want to know where on earth am I going wrong.

My family are very strict African Christians so I have been sheltered all my life from my parents they constantly tell me the cliche 'We trust you, but we don't trust the world', which I think is BS. I think this factor has played a major role in my personality as I am inexperienced compared to all the people my age, and they sometimes poke fun at my child like innocence, even though I am far from being a child I am 18!

The only attention I have gotten from the male audience is being approached by a 23 yr old criminal whilst on my law work experience and him calling me 'absolutely stunning' , and giving me his number. I cannot lie I received a major confidence boost because of this. But then I realised he's a criminal and has come to court to be convicted.

The other 2 times it was men over the age of 30 who both asked for my number, I then told them my age (I was 17 at the time), and then they both proceeded to back off. Then the last time I was approached by a male in this way left me quite scared, he was over 50 with 2 children and a wife and kept trying to touch me and talk to me whilst I was at work , I went to the bathroom and cried and reported this to my manager, in which the man received a ban from the place I was working at .

As you can see all of these men are not suitable bachelors for me. I really just want to know, where I am going wrong? And what can I do to be perceived as more attractive?
You are only 18 you are still young just be patient and wait for the right guy because you are not doing anything wrong. Like you I am 18 and even though I am not a Christian, I am a devout Buddhist and come from a conservative Chinese family (I am not a Chinese citizen though) so l have pretty limited experience when it comes to interactions with the opposite sex (no girl has ever liked me). But I choose to become more self-sufficient and focus on what I have instead of what I do not have and just be patient.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
You are only 18 you are still young just be patient and wait for the right guy because you are not doing anything wrong. Like you I am 18 and even though I am not a Christian, I am a devout Buddhist and come from a conservative Chinese family (I am not a Chinese citizen though) so l have pretty limited experience when it comes to interactions with the opposite sex (no girl has ever liked me). But I choose to become more self-sufficient and focus on what I have instead of what I do not have and just be patient.

I see. Thankyou for sharing! I am definitely taking up more things to become a better person overall as the lockdown has allowed this.
Original post by PeachyMilk
I am an 18yr old black girl,- groom well, and ensure all of my clothes are form fitting, furthermore I am overweight but I am working on this and I am down 10bls already. I wont stop my diet and excersize til I reach a weight I am comfortable with. But boys see me as the 'little innocent sister' (I have literally been told this) and I am tired of being viewed this way. I know people say weight may be a huge factor however, girls even bigger than me has successfully gotten boyfriends I just want to know where on earth am I going wrong.

My family are very strict African Christians so I have been sheltered all my life from my parents they constantly tell me the cliche 'We trust you, but we don't trust the world', which I think is BS. I think this factor has played a major role in my personality as I am inexperienced compared to all the people my age, and they sometimes poke fun at my child like innocence, even though I am far from being a child I am 18!

The only attention I have gotten from the male audience is being approached by a 23 yr old criminal whilst on my law work experience and him calling me 'absolutely stunning' , and giving me his number. I cannot lie I received a major confidence boost because of this. But then I realised he's a criminal and has come to court to be convicted.

The other 2 times it was men over the age of 30 who both asked for my number, I then told them my age (I was 17 at the time), and then they both proceeded to back off. Then the last time I was approached by a male in this way left me quite scared, he was over 50 with 2 children and a wife and kept trying to touch me and talk to me whilst I was at work , I went to the bathroom and cried and reported this to my manager, in which the man received a ban from the place I was working at .

As you can see all of these men are not suitable bachelors for me. I really just want to know, where I am going wrong? And what can I do to be perceived as more attractive?

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I hope you do get better. I’m also a lot more innocent too but don’t let it stop you from having fun. University is a chance to you to explore and have fun while being independent. The best guy would appreciate you for personality as well as your body :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TheStarboy
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I hope you do get better. I’m also a lot more innocent too but don’t let it stop you from having fun. University is a chance to you to explore and have fun while being independent. The best guy would appreciate you for personality as well as your body :smile:

Thankyou! And you're right uni Im going to explore a lot more. :smile:
Thankyou! And you're right uni Im going to explore a lot more. :smile:

You’re welcome. I hope it goes well with you and you find the right person :smile:
You're not doing anything wrong. Literally all you need to do is be yourself. You've recognised some things you can change already (weight) and you're proactive in changing it which is good. You don't need to do anything else. Just live your life and focus on you and your career and the right one will come at the right time.
Reply 7
Original post by Fermion.
You're not doing anything wrong. Literally all you need to do is be yourself. You've recognised some things you can change already (weight) and you're proactive in changing it which is good. You don't need to do anything else. Just live your life and focus on you and your career and the right one will come at the right time.

Thankyou very much ! :smile:

You have been approached by some guys who you have recognized as totally unsuitable so far. You will find someone who will be suitable and just as nice as you are and shares the same values as you do.So go out, meet lots of new people, make new friends. The more people you meet, the more chance you will find someone. And remember some guys might be shy and although they fancy you, they are not forward in their advances and just need a little time :smile:
With the more people you meet, the more experienced you become when it comes to people, group situations, work situations, love situations, friend situations etc and the more confident you will feel. :smile:
Original post by Fermion.

Yea I agree with this person focus on your self-improvement and development. Which boast your confidence and making yourselve more attracting and charming and eventually people will come to you boo. Just do your own thing.
Original post by Ghostlady
You have been approached by some guys who you have recognized as totally unsuitable so far. You will find someone who will be suitable and just as nice as you are and shares the same values as you do.So go out, meet lots of new people, make new friends. The more people you meet, the more chance you will find someone. And remember some guys might be shy and although they fancy you, they are not forward in their advances and just need a little time :smile:
With the more people you meet, the more experienced you become when it comes to people, group situations, work situations, love situations, friend situations etc and the more confident you will feel. :smile:

Ah thankyou very much, I think uni is the perfect chance to do this! :smile:
Original post by AlwaysTotoro
Yea I agree with this person focus on your self-improvement and development. Which boast your confidence and making yourselve more attracting and charming and eventually people will come to you boo. Just do your own thing.

Thankyou so much, and I love your name- Spirited Away is my favourite Studio Ghibli film :smile:
Thankyou so much, and I love your name- Spirited Away is my favourite Studio Ghibli film :smile:

Thank you, i used to run ghost hunting events, and was given that nickname and it stuck lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending