Widening Participation to Medicine: Uni of Sheffield 2020

Watch this thread
mischamoo
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is anyone thinking about applying to the University of Sheffield widening participation route for medicine from Bradford university / Sheffield Hallam for 2020?
Emily5243
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi, not thinking of applying nor did I go through widening participation but I study medicine at Sheffield (I'm in first year) so if you want to ask any questions about the course, I'll be happy to answer.
mischamoo
Rep:
(Original post by Emily5243)
Hi, not thinking of applying nor did I go through widening participation but I study medicine at Sheffield (I'm in first year) so if you want to ask any questions about the course, I'll be happy to answer.
Thank you & Wow I’m so jealous- you are living my dream! 😂 How long did it take you to revise for the UCAT? I have to do mine between the 1st - 11th of July. With the uncertainty of not knowing if it’s going ahead I haven’t done much revision and now I’m panicking if they decide to start as planned
stereotypeasian
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mischamoo)
Thank you & Wow I’m so jealous- you are living my dream! 😂 How long did it take you to revise for the UCAT? I have to do mine between the 1st - 11th of July. With the uncertainty of not knowing if it’s going ahead I haven’t done much revision and now I’m panicking if they decide to start as planned
for ucat, there is this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6282054
mischamoo
Rep:
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
for ucat, there is this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6282054
Thanks yeah I watch that 😀 I’m just wondering how long it specifically took people as I may only have around 30 days to revise x
stereotypeasian
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks yeah I watch that 😀 I’m just wondering how long it specifically took people as I may only have around 30 days to revise x
people have personally recommend me 4-6 weeks is best for ucat so I think you do have time
I would start doing timed mocks 1-2 weeks before your test day
I personally I revised from last day of June to my test date (which was 2nd October so it was final day so I had to sit it or I would be instantly rejected from med school), I think I over-revised lol
Last edited by stereotypeasian; 1 year ago
mischamoo
Rep:
people have personally recommend me 4-6 weeks is best for ucat so I think you do have time
I would start doing timed mocks 2 weeks before your test day
I personally I revised from last day of June to my test date (which was 2nd October so it was final day so I had to sit it or I would be instantly rejected from med school), I think I over-revised lol
The UCAT might not go ahead this year, so I can’t buy any revision materials (I can’t afford something like medify for UCAT to start testing after the 11th). Do you have any recommendations for free revision materials?

How did you do btw, did you get into medicine?
stereotypeasian
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The UCAT might not go ahead this year, so I can’t buy any revision materials (I can’t afford something like medify for UCAT to start testing after the 11th). Do you have any recommendations for free revision materials?

How did you do btw, did you get into medicine?
what's your source for that claim ?

the ucat kinda needs to happen because how else would you differentiate between two people who have exactly the same GCSE/Nat 5 grades, 5As at higher, exact same predicted grades of As in advanced highers or A levels. The PS is very subjective and med schools have started to put less weight on it compared to ucat and interviews. So how would a med school decide on who to interview without the ucat or how do they decide on who to give an offer to if interview and grades are the same ?

free materials are the UCAT app for your phone/ipad and UCAT website , you could do the free trial questions offered by medify and the medic portal and kaplan other than that you need to pay for medify and the 1250 ucat question book
sorry if I sound mean right now but really random question but how can you not afford it?
you could let your parents pay or if you friends that already have you two could share the same account, if possible
mischamoo
Rep:
what's your source for that claim ?

the ucat kinda needs to happen because how else would you differentiate between two people who have exactly the same GCSE/Nat 5 grades, 5As at higher, exact same predicted grades of As in advanced highers or A levels. The PS is very subjective and med schools have started to put less weight on it compared to ucat and interviews. So how would a med school decide on who to interview without the ucat or how do they decide on who to give an offer to if interview and grades are the same ?

free materials are the UCAT app for your phone/ipad and UCAT website , you could do the free trial questions offered by medify and the medic portal and kaplan other than that you need to pay for medify and the 1250 ucat question book
sorry if I sound mean right now but really random question but how can you not afford it?
you could let your parents pay or if you friends that already have you two could share the same account, if possible
The source for the claim is the university of sheffield. They have said that if the UCAT happens before the 11th we have to do it to be considered for an interview In july. If it does not happen before the 11th of July then we dont have to do it and will automatically get an interview. For 2021 applicants to medicine the UCAT will go ahead yes as it is needed.

Medify is really expensive I only have my student loan as income and I’m still paying for my university of accommodation (even though I don’t live there). I don’t want to ask my parents for the money as they have already given me money for university and I feel bad. I can’t just afford to waste £100 on revision materials for a test that might not happen.
Emily5243
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I did about 5 weeks of practice for the UCAT with about the last 2 weeks being mock exams so if I were you, I'd start revising very soon. I used the 1250 questions book, medify and the UCAT website for resources. I've just looked on the medify pricing page and yeah, it's pretty expensive so that's not great (More expensive than what it was in 2018 at least). You could try some free trials on different websites that offer UCAT resources.
mischamoo
Rep:
(Original post by Emily5243)
I did about 5 weeks of practice for the UCAT with about the last 2 weeks being mock exams so if I were you, I'd start revising very soon. I used the 1250 questions book, medify and the UCAT website for resources. I've just looked on the medify pricing page and yeah, it's pretty expensive so that's not great (More expensive than what it was in 2018 at least). You could try some free trials on different websites that offer UCAT resources.
UCAT is no longer on for me Can I ask you about interviews? I’ve never been to a medicine interview before so could do with some help What did you wear, is there somewhere for parents to go? Thank you x
Emily5243
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
UCAT is no longer on for me Can I ask you about interviews? I’ve never been to a medicine interview before so could do with some help What did you wear, is there somewhere for parents to go? Thank you x
You will need something smart for an interview. I wore a pair of trousers, a blouse and had a blazer with me in case it was cold. Smart shoes as well (just what I used to wear for school). Many of the guys had ties but just a shirt would do. At 3 of my interviews, there were seats in the same building that the interviews were going on in so my parents sat there. For the other one, they went to a cafe that was part of the university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (144)
42.35%
Not yet, but I will soon (61)
17.94%
No (135)
39.71%

Watched Threads