The Student Room Group

I hate studying at home

I am finding it really hard to study at home as it is too chaotic and I get easily distracted. I always did all my revision in the library but now that all libraries are closed I have no choice but to study at home. I don’t know what to do I can’t help but be distracted by my pets, the fridge and the impulse to watch tv.
Reply 1
I had the same problem. I am an only child, and flunked out of 2 unis before finally figuring out how to do it. I ended up renting a room from an old retired couple, whilest living at a uni away from my parents. After a year there, i managed to 'get my act together' enough to transfer back to my 'rents' home & finish up a Bachelor's degree there.

Later, after working for a few years (some of them overseas), i bought my own home & went back to uni to do a master's degree. After 5 years in graduate school (one course at a time - whilest working full time), i figured out how to be a student. The key i found was predicting what questions i would be asked on the midterm & final exams. Once i mastered that, things were much easier. I managed to figure out what the instructor felt was most important by the amount of lecture time and work done in presenting it to the class. Best of luck.
You could try out the pomodoro method?
Reply 3
You could maybe do your work in you garden? Since it’s getting warmer you can just set up a table and chair and work from there.
Original post by ohnojay
You could maybe do your work in you garden? Since it’s getting warmer you can just set up a table and chair and work from there.

I have no garden I live in a flat and it doesn’t help that there is construction right outside my window and it is very loud too.
Original post by Rabbit2
I had the same problem. I am an only child, and flunked out of 2 unis before finally figuring out how to do it. I ended up renting a room from an old retired couple, whilest living at a uni away from my parents. After a year there, i managed to 'get my act together' enough to transfer back to my 'rents' home & finish up a Bachelor's degree there.

Later, after working for a few years (some of them overseas), i bought my own home & went back to uni to do a master's degree. After 5 years in graduate school (one course at a time - whilest working full time), i figured out how to be a student. The key i found was predicting what questions i would be asked on the midterm & final exams. Once i mastered that, things were much easier. I managed to figure out what the instructor felt was most important by the amount of lecture time and work done in presenting it to the class. Best of luck.

How did you manage to predict exam questions and what you felt the instructor felt was the most important? Also what subject are you studying?
Original post by AM_TSR
You could try out the pomodoro method?

I tried that it was hard to do enough pomodoros but I should give it another go.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous1502
How did you manage to predict exam questions and what you felt the instructor felt was the most important? Also what subject are you studying?

When you are laying out a course to teach it [i hold a master's degree, and have taught a number of courses], you have to work in a fixed schedule. The school runs on a 'quarter' or 'semester' system, and the number of 'contact hours' in class is fixed. Also, the number of 'topics' you have to cover is relatively fixed. A 'topic' being one particular item you are covering in lecture - Ohm's law, or the binomial equation used to solve for the roots of a quadratic equation being two examples of 'topics'. You cannot "make" time, all you can do is to slide the hours around to put the amount of time on each 'topic' you are going to cover that you think are appropriate. The only other thing you can do, is to control the amount of work you put in (as an instructor), to attempt to 'transfer the information to the student(s). You can just talk about a topic, and your talk can be just "B.S.'ing" - or can be an organized, well planned talk. You can draw on the board, and the drawing can be just simple stick figures, or a more organized layout, or a multi-colour drawing spanning several blackboard panels.

Each topic will generally be covered several times in a grading period. Also, each time a topic is addressed, several 'levels of work' may be used by the instructor - they may start out just talking about a topic, then progress to drawing on the board. I would generally allocate a 'work factor' (measure of work performed by the instructor) of 1.0 to 1.5 for just talking about something. Drawing on the board would get a 2.0 to 2.8 - depending upon the complexity of the drawing. The next level would be handing out a pre-prepaired document to each student. Finally, the use of an 'overhead projector' - with pre-prepaired slides, or a movie for the students to watch. For each work factor, i would assign a number (admittedly arbitrary) to assess the amount of effort and work the instructor had done for each presentation. I would then multiply that number by the number of minutes spent on the presentation.

As an example, if 5 minutes were spent on 'just talking' about a topic, followed by 15 minutes on a 'chalk drawing' on the same topic, i would multiply the 5 by 1.4 (for a medium complexity talk [giving a total of 7.0], and then add it to 15 multiplied by 2.5, giving 37.5 for the 'chalk talk'. Adding the two together would yield 44.5 for the entire presentation. Each time this particular topic was addressed in this grading period, would yield another total number. Just before the exam, add together the total numbers for each presentation of this topic, to yield the total score for this topic. This should be a metric indicating the overall importance of this topic to the instructor, and hence, the relative probability of a question on that topic appearing on the exam.

I used this technique for roughly half of a master's program in Electrical Engineering at George Washington Uni in Washington D.C. - finishing in 1987. The WORST i ever did in predicting mid-term and final exam questions was about 70%. Several times i hit 100% [all exam questions were predicted]. Good luck!!
Original post by Anonymous1502
I am finding it really hard to study at home as it is too chaotic and I get easily distracted. I always did all my revision in the library but now that all libraries are closed I have no choice but to study at home. I don’t know what to do I can’t help but be distracted by my pets, the fridge and the impulse to watch tv.

Hi @Anonymous1502!

Our student room rep team wrote a thread of our top tips for revising/studying from home! Click here and have a read through. I hope you find something which helps :smile:

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Rabbit2
When you are laying out a course to teach it [i hold a master's degree, and have taught a number of courses], you have to work in a fixed schedule. The school runs on a 'quarter' or 'semester' system, and the number of 'contact hours' in class is fixed. Also, the number of 'topics' you have to cover is relatively fixed. A 'topic' being one particular item you are covering in lecture - Ohm's law, or the binomial equation used to solve for the roots of a quadratic equation being two examples of 'topics'. You cannot "make" time, all you can do is to slide the hours around to put the amount of time on each 'topic' you are going to cover that you think are appropriate. The only other thing you can do, is to control the amount of work you put in (as an instructor), to attempt to 'transfer the information to the student(s). You can just talk about a topic, and your talk can be just "B.S.'ing" - or can be an organized, well planned talk. You can draw on the board, and the drawing can be just simple stick figures, or a more organized layout, or a multi-colour drawing spanning several blackboard panels.

Each topic will generally be covered several times in a grading period. Also, each time a topic is addressed, several 'levels of work' may be used by the instructor - they may start out just talking about a topic, then progress to drawing on the board. I would generally allocate a 'work factor' (measure of work performed by the instructor) of 1.0 to 1.5 for just talking about something. Drawing on the board would get a 2.0 to 2.8 - depending upon the complexity of the drawing. The next level would be handing out a pre-prepaired document to each student. Finally, the use of an 'overhead projector' - with pre-prepaired slides, or a movie for the students to watch. For each work factor, i would assign a number (admittedly arbitrary) to assess the amount of effort and work the instructor had done for each presentation. I would then multiply that number by the number of minutes spent on the presentation.

As an example, if 5 minutes were spent on 'just talking' about a topic, followed by 15 minutes on a 'chalk drawing' on the same topic, i would multiply the 5 by 1.4 (for a medium complexity talk [giving a total of 7.0], and then add it to 15 multiplied by 2.5, giving 37.5 for the 'chalk talk'. Adding the two together would yield 44.5 for the entire presentation. Each time this particular topic was addressed in this grading period, would yield another total number. Just before the exam, add together the total numbers for each presentation of this topic, to yield the total score for this topic. This should be a metric indicating the overall importance of this topic to the instructor, and hence, the relative probability of a question on that topic appearing on the exam.

I used this technique for roughly half of a master's program in Electrical Engineering at George Washington Uni in Washington D.C. - finishing in 1987. The WORST i ever did in predicting mid-term and final exam questions was about 70%. Several times i hit 100% [all exam questions were predicted]. Good luck!!

what brings you to tsr?
Original post by steamed-hams
what brings you to tsr?

I used to be active on a site [www.studentuk.co.uk] which had a chat room. I participated in that whilst i was doing my masters, and it was a lot of fun. I think they found it impossible to make any money with it - so eventually it went defunct. This seemed to be the best available alternative, altho it lacks a chat room.
Original post by Rabbit2

This technique requires, of course, that you record the start time and finish time for each presentation the instructor makes, and what they are doing [talking, board drawing, prepared handout, etc, as well as an unofficial assessment of the amount of effort they are putting into it. I had to train myself to do this, but it proved valuable in the end. ].

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending