The Student Room Group

GCSE Spanish

Hi Everyone,
I am in year 10 at the moment and because of all the schools shutting I obviously haven't had any proper Spanish lessons. I am on the exam board AQA. I am kind of worried about the GCSEs next year and the grades I am going to get and especially Spanish as it is a foreign language and I struggled with it in the first place before all of this.
Has anyone got any suggestions of how I can keep up with the course as I want to get the higher grades at GCSE and my teacher doesn't seem to care at the moment?
Muchas Gracias!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
BBC Bitesize has what is needed for the AQA paper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/z4yyjhv
(edited 3 years ago)
hi!
i'm also in year 10 and in the same boat in terms of the lockdown and no spanish lessons.
i would encourage you to practice the things that you struggle in (you can find spanish texts for reading comprehension online, or past papers for ideas about writing questions).
it would also be beneficial to listen to a spanish podcast or watch a spanish netflix series or movie, which would help with your listening and speaking skills (as well as being relaxing and not too strenuous). i would recommend the duolingo spanish podcast which is specificallly made for language learners. for a series it would be best to watch something you're interested in - i watched brooklyn 99 episodes with spanish audio.
you should be able to find the aqa specification online, use this to look at grammar concepts that you should be studying at the moment and to recap the ones you have already studied.
lastly, recap vocab; quizlet is a good website for vocabulary because you can identify the ones that you frequently get wrong instead of repeating the ones you already know.

hope that helps, de nada!
Reply 3
Original post by princess_amaya
hi!
i'm also in year 10 and in the same boat in terms of the lockdown and no spanish lessons.
i would encourage you to practice the things that you struggle in (you can find spanish texts for reading comprehension online, or past papers for ideas about writing questions).
it would also be beneficial to listen to a spanish podcast or watch a spanish netflix series or movie, which would help with your listening and speaking skills (as well as being relaxing and not too strenuous). i would recommend the duolingo spanish podcast which is specificallly made for language learners. for a series it would be best to watch something you're interested in - i watched brooklyn 99 episodes with spanish audio.
you should be able to find the aqa specification online, use this to look at grammar concepts that you should be studying at the moment and to recap the ones you have already studied.
lastly, recap vocab; quizlet is a good website for vocabulary because you can identify the ones that you frequently get wrong instead of repeating the ones you already know.

hope that helps, de nada!

Thank you so much this is so helpful!
Original post by 3cutecats
Hi Everyone,
I am in year 10 at the moment and because of all the schools shutting I obviously haven't had any proper Spanish lessons. I am on the exam board AQA. I am kind of worried about the GCSEs next year and the grades I am going to get and especially Spanish as it is a foreign language and I struggled with it in the first place before all of this.
Has anyone got any suggestions of how I can keep up with the course as I want to get the higher grades at GCSE and my teacher doesn't seem to care at the moment?
Muchas Gracias!

For reading practice, try downloading 'veinte minutos'. The content is easier if you go to the entertainment section. It's an app of small news pieces in Spanish. I'm suddenly going into year 12 but this was what my teacher always told me to use to practice.
For writing, higher marks are given to people that can use more tenses. Practice memorising the components of as many tenses as you can.
Speaking questions tend to be quite basic and require answers that aren't over-complicated. Try writing about your day and simply practicing saying the words.
Listening is arguable the hardest part of Spanish GCSE. If you have an AQA revision guide, there's a listening practice CD in the back. If not, you could practice listening to Spanish clips on YouTube and Netflix with English subtitles.
Hey, I'm in year 9, does anyone want to practice with me? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 3cutecats
Hi Everyone,
Muchas Gracias!

hiya, i did GCSE Spanish and would’ve been taking them this year but obvs not cos of corona. i have all the notes and books if you need them you can message me. on my year 11 mock i got a 9. i suggest you ask others who are in your class at what they are doing and also use a website called ‘memrise’ i found it very useful and it has all the modules step by step instead of all at once. buena suerte!
where can I download 'veinte minutos

Quick Reply

Latest