Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Questions about Wessex Lane Halls Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I just want to ask any current Southampton students how far Wessex lane halls such as Montefiore 3 is from Highfield campus by walk..also how far from Swaythling train station, will it disturb studying?? thanks in advanced

ReputationRep:
    10-15 mins walk to highfield. You have to go over this hump/bridge, then Langhorn, then up Burgess road. It's the same route the U1C uni-link bus (you get a free pass if you're in halls anyway), so you could probably hop on at a stop if you see it approaching. Riding up Burgess might be a bit of a mission, but riding down is always fun

Whenever I'm down at Wessex I never hear it. The blocks that are closest to the station might, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    10-15 mins walk to highfield. You have to go over this hump/bridge, then Langhorn, then up Burgess road. It's the same route the U1C uni-link bus (you get a free pass if you're in halls anyway), so you could probably hop on at a stop if you see it approaching. Riding up Burgess might be a bit of a mission, but riding down is always fun

Whenever I'm down at Wessex I never hear it. The blocks that are closest to the station might, I don't know.
    ok thanks, but that now worries me, i dont want to be allocated at the end of montefiore 3..but could it be THAT loud, i mean its just trains passing through rite? i mean the uni cant be stupid enuff to have halls next to a train station rite??? :eek: panic!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aloof47)
    ok thanks, but that now worries me, i dont want to be allocated at the end of montefiore 3..but could it be THAT loud, i mean its just trains passing through rite? i mean the uni cant be stupid enuff to have halls next to a train station rite??? :eek: panic!!!
    there are sound regulations when building houses, you can't have a ouse to close to anything of great noise. i don't personally know what this is, because i've lived in the countryside all my life :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i was in monte 1, just in front of the train line and it was never that big a deal - u can hear it if u leave ur window open - but u can hear a lot worse than that believe me! just put it this way...drunken people arent very considerate!

ReputationRep:
    haha thanks...i realise it wont affect me in a BIG way, but if it does, probably ask for a transfer, or will get used to it ..hope for the best, i dont hear anything, anyway i sleep through anything too..so haha..i dont knwo why im so worried, maybe the anxiety of actually going to uni this year!!!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the (hartley) library then, if you want complete silence during study

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about Monte1, but Monte2, 3 and 4 rooms which face the railway, are close to reception or the boiler house all have double glazing and if I closed my windows I didn't hear anything outside. Problem then is that it gets really hot, I had my radiator turned off and still needed my windows open all year round

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much, even if it seems annoying at first you'll soon get used to it and probably not even notice it! I live under the heathrow flight path and regularly have planes every 30 seconds but after 19 years (won't take that long though!) I barely notice it, let-alone distract me.
    Chances are you won't have a room right next to it anyway, my friend who started last year (I'm starting this year too) has a room overlooking the railway and i don't remember hearing them from her room even with the window open!
    Hope it works out ok for you :-)

ReputationRep:
    Thats all good to hear then because im probably going to be in monte 3

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.