Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm an international student and looking for a University to study Physics in. Nightlife is unimportant whatsoever, between Durham and Lancaster, which university is a better option, purely academical.
username3539714
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm going to Lancaster this year but in terms of being purely academical, I've heard Durham are right up there
username5152584
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Durham is a member of the Russel group which is group of the best Universities in the UK. So Durham will be much better academically!
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Newyorkiscool)
Durham is a member of the Russel group which is group of the best Universities in the UK. So Durham will be much better academically!
that's not the definition of Russell Group.....
Anonymous #1
I ultimately plan on going to grad school at Oxbridge, or at least hope to. Would being at Durham make that process a bit easier, provided I get the necessary grades?
username5152584
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
that's not the definition of Russell Group.....
Does it not contain some of the best universities in the country? Because last time I checked Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, Newcastle, Leeds, York etc are all fantastic unis.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Durham for sure. Much more academically prestigious. Lancaster felt like a prison to me when I visited and a large amount of students are pushed into going due to the obscene amount of unconditional offers given out at Lancaster (I got one but didn’t accept).
You’d be silly to chose Lancaster over Durham.
username4952880
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm an international student and looking for a University to study Physics in. Nightlife is unimportant whatsoever, between Durham and Lancaster, which university is a better option, purely academical.
Choose Durham is higher in rankings.
Last edited by username4952880; 1 year ago
username4952880
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I ultimately plan on going to grad school at Oxbridge, or at least hope to. Would being at Durham make that process a bit easier, provided I get the necessary grades?
no it doesn't matter from where you will graduate. They will see only your grades.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emily_000)
no it doesn't matter from where you will graduate. They will see only your grades.
That’s not true. They will also see the institution where you gained your degree, which indicates the difficulty and content of your degree.
username5152584
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s not true. They will also see the institution where you gained your degree, which indicates the difficulty and content of your degree.
My mum has never been asked where she got her degree from ever!
username4952880
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that is not true. You can graduate from London Metropolitan University and still go to Oxford or Cambridge. Oxford and Cambridge ask for a first , not to be a graduate from a specific university.
Anonymous #1
Alright, thanks champs. Looks like Durham makes a bit more sense due to its prestige and stuff. Thanks for the help.
username4952880
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Alright, thanks champs. Looks like Durham makes a bit more sense due to its prestige and stuff. Thanks for the help.
You're welcome.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
My mum has never been asked where she got her degree from ever!
Wow! Your mum must be the spokesperson for every single person who has even gotten a degree. Congrats bro
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does it not contain some of the best universities in the country? Because last time I checked Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, Newcastle, Leeds, York etc are all fantastic unis.
It does contain most of the best unis in the country, but a uni isn't automatically among the best because it's RG. Lancaster is a non-RG that beats out many RGs academically.

I'm tempted to say Durham is stronger than Lancaster in this instance, but I don't know enough about physics as a subject. It isn't by a massive degree as is made out by other people on this thread.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 year ago
username5152584
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow! Your mum must be the spokesperson for every single person who has even gotten a degree. Congrats bro
At least I’m not spreading BS
username4952880
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh please stop! She is telling the truth, it doesn't matter from where you will graduate. All the universities are good. They see only your grades. Call Oxford or Cambridge and ask if you don't believe me.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They will look at your module choices more specifically. If a graduate from Leeds had a more appropriate academic background to the particular masters/phd than one from Durham, even though Durham might be seen as "better", the former candidate will still probably get the place.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
At least I’m not spreading BS
It’s no lie that Oxbridge would favour someone with a degree from, say, Imperial College London than somewhere like Derby. It’s factual, don’t be offended lol.
The difference might not be as massive for Durham and Lancaster, but it’s not rocket science that Durham is a much better uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (28)
15.73%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (56)
31.46%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (20)
11.24%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.99%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (8)
4.49%
I think it's an unfair expectation (47)
26.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.69%

Watched Threads