Can parents claim money from Child trust fund !

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone
I am a bit confused on something. My das left me a child trust fund account with £1000 in it. Since he died 4 months ago, my mum has been in control of it. By the way, she did put in £200 so basically 20 percent of the money was from her. I’m currently 17 and my birthday is in 2 months. What I’m worried about is her getting all my money. You see, I used to be a catholic but I stopped believing in god. If I tell my mum I’ve became an atheist she will without a doubt disown me. I haven’t told her yet and I will tell her once I turn 18. Apparently you can claim child trust fund money when you turn 18. If I turn 18 and get disowned by my mum, will she be able to claim my money since dad left her in charge of my account?
Pj7089
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Money can't be withdrawn from child trust funds by anybody even named account holders until the Childs account turns 18. At this point when the child turns 18, the account is re-registered under the Childs name and now becomes the property of the child, you should be given a choice of either to invest the money into some form of Cash-ISA or move the money into an accessible savings account.

If you move it into a savings account or a cash-ISA that you could withdraw from under your own name then your parents would have no ability to manipulate the funds in your accounts. Providing they have no control over these accounts and these accounts are yours with them not named as account holders or guarantors.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No, parents can't make any withdrawals from the child trust fund.
As soon as you are 18, you will control it and can decide whether to cash out the money or transfer into an ISA with the same provider.
If your gut instinct is telling you that you need to act now, as you are over 16 you can contact the child trust fund provider to remove your mother's name as ‘registered contact’ for the account and have your name listed instead.

My mother grew up in an ultra-traditionalist catholic family that despised modern life, all other religions and outsiders.
She was disowned, disinherited and almost beaten to death by her father & grandmother for telling them that she was going to marry an atheist.
Listen to your instincts and trust them to keep you safe.

You have the freedom to choose whether to keep your private life private and who to share some elements with.
If you feel that sharing particular details about your life may put your safety at risk- don't do it.
Focus on ensuring that you have access to safe accommodation, enough money to support yourself and a support network.
Good luck!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
As soon as you are 18, you will control it and can decide whether to cash out the money or transfer into an ISA with the same provider.
If your gut instinct is telling you that you need to act now, as you are over 16 you can contact the child trust fund provider to remove your mother's name as ‘registered contact’ for the account and have your name listed instead.

My mother grew up in an ultra-traditionalist catholic family that despised modern life, all other religions and outsiders.
She was disowned, disinherited and almost beaten to death by her father & grandmother for telling them that she was going to marry an atheist.

You have the freedom to choose whether to keep your private life private and who to share some elements with.
If you feel that sharing particular details about your life may put your safety at risk- don't do it.
Focus on ensuring that you have access to safe accommodation, enough money to support yourself and a support network.
Good luck!
Hi
As the child trust fund account is in Natwest, and my mum and my personal bank account is with Lloyd’s, can I create a NatWest account on my own as soon as I turn 18 and transfer my child trust fund account to my then new account?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi
As the child trust fund account is in Natwest, and my mum and my personal bank account is with Lloyd’s, can I create a NatWest account on my own as soon as I turn 18 and transfer my child trust fund account to my then new account without my mum knowing?
(Original post by londonmyst)

Good luck!
As the child trust fund account is in Natwest, and my mum and my personal bank account is with Lloyd’s, can I create a NatWest account on my own as soon as I turn 18 and transfer my child trust fund account to my then new account without my mum knowing?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes.
But remember to sign up for online banking, paperless statements and ask for both your bank card & pin number to be delivered to your local branch for you to pick up.
So that your mother will not see any bank statements or have any way of intercepting your bank card/pin while you share the same address.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (62)
15.12%
I'm not sure (14)
3.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (139)
33.9%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.46%
I'm not a current university student (189)
46.1%

Watched Threads