Newnham College Essay Prizes 2020

Watch
username4834776
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Has anyone received any results back yet?
fayeelw
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, not yet! Do you know when they are supposed to be released? Which one did you enter?
Spanishstarfish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I haven't heard anything- but I think the last 2 years they've been out on June 1st?
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fayeelw)
No, not yet! Do you know when they are supposed to be released? Which one did you enter?
What did you enter?
I entered MML! I don't have high hopes though...
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Spanishstarfish)
What did you enter?
I entered MML! I don't have high hopes though...
Im waiting on a reply too. I entered the Woolf Prize. Not expecting anything to come from it, the experience was good enough to put in application alone, but obviously would love to be commended
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's exactly how I feel. I would love to be commended, but it was still a really interesting thing to do, and helped me find areas which I want to explore more I did an English question for a different competition "should we judge past literature by modern standards" and it was so interesting. Still waiting for the results from that one too, but again, low expectations haha

(Original post by Nevi)
Im waiting on a reply too. I entered the Woolf Prize. Not expecting anything to come from it, the experience was good enough to put in application alone, but obviously would love to be commended
Nevi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's exactly how I feel. I would love to be commended, but it was still a really interesting thing to do, and helped me find areas which I want to explore more I did an English question for a different competition "should we judge past literature by modern standards" and it was so interesting. Still waiting for the results from that one too, but again, low expectations haha
Honestly, even if it was commended I would feel like I had won. Bet some would be gutted but I would be buying a cake lol
Nevi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anyone know how many people on average enter a category? I know the college isn’t one of the old and snobby ones and less people seem to apply. Would that reflect on Essay prize entrants too?
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nevi)
Honestly, even if it was commended I would feel like I had won. Bet some would be gutted but I would be buying a cake lol
Tbh if I was commended I'd be acting like I'd won a noble peace prize lool
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nevi)
Anyone know how many people on average enter a category? I know the college isn’t one of the old and snobby ones and less people seem to apply. Would that reflect on Essay prize entrants too?
No clue, I did try to find out but couldn't find anything. I really really like Newnham as a college though, it's so pretty
lil20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did anyone enter the maths one?
raketlam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did anyone enter the biological sciences one? If so, which question?
fayeelw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by raketlam)
Did anyone enter the biological sciences one? If so, which question?
Yeah I did! I did the one about organoids; it was so interesting that I decided to do an EPQ on it!!! I don't have much hope either - I read it back a couple of weeks ago and I'd made more spelling mistakes in the first 500 words than I could count hahaha
fayeelw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh if I was commended I'd be acting like I'd won a noble peace prize lool
Honestly hahaha
Nevi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Genuinely the moment I submitted it I havent looked back at it since. Its sitting in a dark corner of my computer and I dont want to open it and read it to find an error or that it makes me gag 😂
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nevi)
Genuinely the moment I submitted it I havent looked back at it since. Its sitting in a dark corner of my computer and I dont want to open it and read it to find an error or that it makes me gag 😂
I relate to that on a spiritual level
Emma0603ii
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lil20)
Did anyone enter the maths one?
I entered the maths one, which question did you choose? I did how does maths protect your privacy online
Spanishstarfish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do hope we find out the results soon.

(Original post by Emma0603ii)
I entered the maths one, which question did you choose? I did how does maths protect your privacy online
I don't do maths, but that genuinely sounds so interesting!
lil20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah that's interesting, what were your main points for that? I did the relationship between maths and music one
lia_10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fayeelw)
Yeah I did! I did the one about organoids; it was so interesting that I decided to do an EPQ on it!!! I don't have much hope either - I read it back a couple of weeks ago and I'd made more spelling mistakes in the first 500 words than I could count hahaha
Hi.
I did that one too. I agree that it was really interesting, and I was also considering doing an EPQ on it, but I feel that towards the end I was struggling to find more info on the field. So I’m unsure whether I would be able to complete an EPQ on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
16.3%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (57)
30.98%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (21)
11.41%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.7%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (9)
4.89%
I think it's an unfair expectation (48)
26.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.63%

Watched Threads