samc103
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m having a hard time deciding which course I want to study at uni. My A-Levels are:
- History
- Politics
- Spanish
- Geography

Can anyone help me decide what I should study please???
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which subjects do you prefer?
username3539714
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are too many courses to say. You're going to have to narrow down your interests/favourite subjects
samc103
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Which subjects do you prefer?
I’m definitely going to pair Spanish with a degree as I think it will open up a lot more doors. I prefer history to politics or geography but I feel it’s a useless degree
username3539714
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by samc103)
I’m definitely going to pair Spanish with a degree as I think it will open up a lot more doors. I prefer history to politics or geography but I feel it’s a useless degree
In that case, you've answered your own question I guess
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sounds a great idea to me - history and Spanish should be a good mix. I dont see history of being of less value than geography or politics. I guess you could look at degrees which let you do two languages also.
Uni of Hull Students
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi samc103

I am a current PhD History candidate at the University of Hull. I have also completed degrees in BA History & MA History.

I also studied both HIstory and Geography at A-Level many moons ago, and I've studied Geography as well as incorporating to a limited extent politics into my degrees as well.

My advice when picking a degree, if you are wishing to go to university is to think about what interests you the most. If that is Spanish great! As you seem to suggest here you're also interested in history.
Because of the nature of History/politics/geography, there is potential to cover aspects of these whilst completing a History degree - for example, studying political history if that's of interest to you would then mean that you are indirectly continuing with the study of politics.

The great thing about completing a degree in any of these disciplines is the skill set which it develops during your time as a student which is desirable to employers if you're wanting to get a job after completion of the degree. None of these degrees are 'useless' because they all develop you as a person. And it is not just the degree but the overall experience of university which develops skill sets even further.

My advice would be to search for courses using UCAS and look at different university webpages and their details surrounding individual courses, module choices and opportunities which are available to you as a student.

Hope this helps,
Emily

Ask a Hull student Thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6460014
Hull website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/
samc103
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi samc103

I am a current PhD History candidate at the University of Hull. I have also completed degrees in BA History & MA History.

I also studied both HIstory and Geography at A-Level many moons ago, and I've studied Geography as well as incorporating to a limited extent politics into my degrees as well.

My advice when picking a degree, if you are wishing to go to university is to think about what interests you the most. If that is Spanish great! As you seem to suggest here you're also interested in history.
Because of the nature of History/politics/geography, there is potential to cover aspects of these whilst completing a History degree - for example, studying political history if that's of interest to you would then mean that you are indirectly continuing with the study of politics.

The great thing about completing a degree in any of these disciplines is the skill set which it develops during your time as a student which is desirable to employers if you're wanting to get a job after completion of the degree. None of these degrees are 'useless' because they all develop you as a person. And it is not just the degree but the overall experience of university which develops skill sets even further.

My advice would be to search for courses using UCAS and look at different university webpages and their details surrounding individual courses, module choices and opportunities which are available to you as a student.

Hope this helps,
Emily

Ask a Hull student Thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6460014
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi samc103

Hope this helps,
Emily

Thank you! This really helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.39%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.01%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise