EJL:)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi current Y12 here, one of the courses i'm thinking of apply to is economics and statistics at Edinburgh. The modules show it is a very maths heavy degree (modules is calculus etc) which i like as maths is my favourite subject. However, i'm currently doing maths, econ and biology A levels (no further maths) and my personal goal for maths is to get an A*(which is the requirement for this course), however i'm a very slow learner and so maths doesn't come easy for me, i just work very hard for it and do well that way. I got a 9 (equivalent to an A**) at GCSE but still didn't understand a lot of topics.

Also, if i'm thinking of going into professional services such as consulting or business analyst would this be a good degree to take?

I was wondering if doing that degree would pose too difficult or would be manageable especially because i really enjoy maths (albeit struggle a lot). These are some of the maths modules in the said course:

• Introduction to Linear Algebra
  • Calculus and its Applications
  • Proofs and Problem Solving
  • Statistics (Year 2)
  • Several Variable Calculus and Differential Equations
  • Fundamentals of Pure Mathematics
  • Probability
  • Statistical Methodology
  • Stochastic Modelling
  • Statistical Computing
  • Applications of Econometrics
  • Theory of Statistical Inference
  • Multivariate Data Analysis
  • Statistical Learning
  • Applied Statistics
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think if you really enjoy maths and are willing to put in the hours, then that degree should be okay. Economics and business-related degrees and jobs go very well together so it sounds like you have a solid plan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (560)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.56%

Watched Threads