Please help- i don't know what to do about my French GCSE

Watch
hxhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Over the 10 weeks of Lockdown I have found it so hard to do languages, I've hardly done any.

I used to be so good at French, but now I seem to know nothing.

I am at the end of year 9, and I know everyone will say 'Year 9 doesn't matter' but I have already started GCSE Languages so this year does kind of matter.

Any tips of how I can revise and kind of 're-learn' everything from Year 7, 8 and Year 9?
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
honestly practice vocab on memrise or something. and then stuff like tenses and stuff ;do that later. Vocab I think is very important.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perhaps you could keep some sort of journal or diary in French, aiming to write at least 50 words per day? That way, you'll be ablwe to practice all your tenses, talking about the weather and using verbs to discuss daily life. Doing vocab is also great, and you can use lyricstraining to practice listening. Reading the news in French can also be helpful
rsmithson00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A few bits of advice:

- watch Netflix and films in french with subtitles (english or French). try to listen out for the sound of words that you can pick up.
- learn lyrics for French songs (I recommend Angèle, Stromae, Maître Gims, Amir, Zaz, Édith Piaf, there's so many more...)
- use online sites to practice grammar etc.
- write in French - it's not perfect but bonpatron.com is essentially a spelling and grammar checker, but it's not perfect so be wary
- learn the grammar again and again - it will eventually stick. It's an easy way to get marks.
- read as much French as possible: magazines, recipes, newspapers, emails, anything! it'll all help
- every time you don't know a word, use Quizlet to make a vocabulary bank. Practice every. single. day.

Also, don't be too harsh on yourself. I've been learning French for years and I forget basic stuff all the time! It's important to be nice to yourself in the process, and teachers will help. If you have any questions, let me know and bonne chance
hei_hin123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hxhu)
Over the 10 weeks of Lockdown I have found it so hard to do languages, I've hardly done any.

I used to be so good at French, but now I seem to know nothing.

I am at the end of year 9, and I know everyone will say 'Year 9 doesn't matter' but I have already started GCSE Languages so this year does kind of matter.

Any tips of how I can revise and kind of 're-learn' everything from Year 7, 8 and Year 9?
Hi hxhu!

I just finished my gcse so hoping I can help you out!

• Try using Quizlet by creating vocab packs or look for one on there, I find it extremely helpful during my gcse for any vocab quizzes, especially there are different features that make learning vocabs a bit more fun and easier.
  • My teacher recommends us to learn french on this free website https://languagesonline.org.uk/Hotpotatoes/index.html , it is not the most well-designed website but quite helpful for vocabs and grammars
  • Try watching youtube or netflix in french with english subtitles or in english with french subtitles, Cyprien is one of the french youtubers that I really enjoy watching! He is really funny and isn't too hard to understand.
  • Listen to french versions of english songs, for example disney or https://www.youtube.com/user/sarahageali/featured, she sings french versions of english songs
  • A bit of a weird way to learn french but read french children books! It is easier to understand as they have easier vocabs and drawing on, read it out loud to improve on pronunciation!
  • It is a bit difficult to improve oral when you are not in a french speaking country but if you can, look for a french speaker friend that can talk to you in french.

In my opinion year 9 is quite important for gcse as it would be easier to learn new things during the coming 2 years when you have a good base. So try revising on subjects before school starts again. If you have any questions I am happy to answer it for you Good luck!
username3738636
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Learn all the vocab (your school should have given you a list or you can just find it online)
Flashcards
Practise some of your basic tenses
Speak a bit of french out loud everyday to help with pronounciation
Listen to some french songs/ watch french movies
Amie_dancer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! I studied French at GCSE and A Level and I now live in France as an English Language Assistant (will be starting my second year as this in September). If you would like any help with essays, grammar, or anything really then feel free to contact me as I can offer help either for free or for a very small price For reference, I am a level C1 in French and I got an A* at GCSE and an A at A Level. Whilst my French definitely isn't perfect, I can definitely do my best to help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
32.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.42%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads