The Student Room Group

Graffiti

Should I do art for GCSE if I love doing graffiti and want to base my GCSE in art around it?
Original post by Anonymous
Should I do art for GCSE if I love doing graffiti and want to base my GCSE in art around it?

Of course! Go for it... I did photography and we did similar work to Art... If you're going to put in the effort go for it, it's a lot of work but im sure you can do it
Reply 2
I just feel like it might be way too much work and I might not be good enough. Also, my parents want me to do Spanish (which I hate) and I don't want to disappoint them.
Reply 3
And do they let you do graffiti for art GCSE?
And do they let you do graffiti for art GCSE?

IMHO, you could certainly make a case for graffiti being considered an art from (after all it started in Ancient Rome, and you notice how similar "graffiti" sounds to other words like graphic, graph etc). Other areas of Hip Hop culture have become legitimate areas in their wider field (e.g. break-dancing was originally considered a fad, it is now fully accepted as a genuine style of dance).

I just feel like it might be way too much work and I might not be good enough. Also, my parents want me to do Spanish (which I hate) and I don't want to disappoint them.

It is a massive scope, and you couldn't cover every aspect for a GCSE project. In order to make a success of it, you'd need to focus on a particular area of graffiti. For example you could either:-

a) Focus on the different techniques (e.g. stencil vs free-hand), argue about the animation effects people use (paint-blending, letter desgin etc.)
b) Graffiti is traditionally associated with trains and railways. Many people consider it vandalism, but the artist says they're decorating the trains... also due to the nature of the trains/ tracks, it means more people will see (and hopefully appreciate) their artwork. You could make a case saying "is it vandalism or art?" and consider both sides of the debate.
c) Could look how and why artists such as Banksy have managed to get the real "big-wigs" of the art world to sit-up and take notice of what they're doing.
Reply 5
Thanks that has been really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest