Jfr01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

Just wondering if there people out there who can help me out in regards to entry requirements for QUB medicine course.

The entry requirements says A* AA or AAA with an additional AS. My current grades are BBB with one of the B’s being applied science which will not be accepted. I have no other science Alevels, however I have enrolled for alevel Biology and Chemistry which I’m hoping to get high grades in, in hope that it will help me secure a place. I am open to enrolling on to a 3rd alevel if needs be.

Can anybody please advise with my other alevels I achieved if it is likely I will get accepted if I do well in biology and chemistry? I am not sure if they take these newly enrolled courses into consideration and only go by your original alevels. It is also worth mentioning that I have a degree and masters degree but not science orientated disciplines.

Any advice and tips are much appreciated !

Thanks
Last edited by Jfr01; 1 year ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to the Medicine forum
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jfr01)
Hi,

Just wondering if there people out there who can help me out in regards to entry requirements for QUB medicine course.

The entry requirements says A* AA or AAA with an additional AS. My current grades are BBB with one of the B’s being applied science which will not be accepted. I have no other science Alevels, however I have enrolled for alevel Biology and Chemistry which I’m hoping to get high grades in, in hope that it will help me secure a place. I am open to enrolling on to a 3rd alevel if needs be.

Can anybody please advise with my other alevels I achieved if it is likely I will get accepted if I do well in biology and chemistry? I am not sure if they take these newly enrolled courses into consideration and only go by your original alevels. It is also worth mentioning that I have a degree and masters degree but not science orientated disciplines.

Any advice and tips are much appreciated !

Thanks
QUB are pretty clear on your situation -

Degree qualifications (for graduate applicants):
Full academic background is taken into account. The minimum A level threshold (or equivalent in other qualifications) is ABB at first attempt, ie prior to commencing degree studies, or BBB for those with a First Class Honours degree or PhD.

For school leavers the SUBJECT of your third Alevel is not important so I imagine that remains the same if you meet the above criteria.
Jfr01
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
QUB are pretty clear on your situation -

Degree qualifications (for graduate applicants):
Full academic background is taken into account. The minimum A level threshold (or equivalent in other qualifications) is ABB at first attempt, ie prior to commencing degree studies, or BBB for those with a First Class Honours degree or PhD.

For school leavers the SUBJECT of your third Alevel is not important so I imagine that remains the same if you meet the above criteria.
Yeah I seen that on the website, I just wasn’t sure if it is worth my while applying because I have BBB, I got a 2.1 in my degree and a merit in my masters.

I found it a little conflicting as it says they take full academic background into account but then it says they look at first attempt grades before university. I don’t want to do an alevel in biology and chemistry this year if they are going to rule me out of meeting the criteria.
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jfr01)
Yeah I seen that on the website, I just wasn’t sure if it is worth my while applying because I have BBB, I got a 2.1 in my degree and a merit in my masters.

I found it a little conflicting as it says they take full academic background into account but then it says they look at first attempt grades before university. I don’t want to do an alevel in biology and chemistry this year if they are going to rule me out of meeting the criteria.
QUB have a uniquely specific rule on resits!
It doesn't sound to me like you meet the requirements but clearly the best way to check is to call and talk to the admissions team.
Jfr01
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
QUB have a uniquely specific rule on resits!
It doesn't sound to me like you meet the requirements but clearly the best way to check is to call and talk to the admissions team.
The A-levels I would be taking are Biology and Chemistry, it wouldn’t be resits of A-Levels I already have. So if I was to get those I would have 5 A-Levels in total and then I have a BTEC level 3 Distinction* and an Active IQ Level 3 Distinction on top of this.

It would be a real shame if Queens were to only consider the Alevels I achieved 7 years ago, especially when your career prospects change over time.

I tried to call Queens but admissions are not taking calls at the moment due to Covid-19.
Last edited by Jfr01; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.66%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.86%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
40.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (21)
26.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.53%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.8%

Watched Threads