The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is there a separate thread for North West England?
hello, does anyone know if we have to rank ALL of the programmes? Or can we just rank the top 30 out of 60? Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
hello, does anyone know if we have to rank ALL of the programmes? Or can we just rank the top 30 out of 60? Thanks.

If you want your 31th job rank it, if you don’t stick to 30

St*
Does anyone here know anything about Medway maritime hospital in Gillingham Kent? Is it commutable from London?
Does anyone here know anything about Medway maritime hospital in Gillingham Kent? Is it commutable from London?

I know a few people who commuted from King’s Cross to Medway Maritime on a daily basis. The train takes about 45 minutes. Bear in mind it’s a 15-20 minute walk from the station to the hospital (or a short taxi ride).

I also know other people who drove from South London (zone 3 or 4) to Medway (about 40 min to an hour or more depending on traffic).

Personally, I’m not sure if I would have the energy for a commute like that.

Really ? I ranked loads of ones I didn’t want, because I assume they will just randomly allocate you if you don’t! After about 15 I don’t want any of the jobs.
Original post by Fenrir1223
Oh cool! I’ve not looked into W much myself, got my heart set on Edinburgh and a paeds rotation if I’m lucky 🤞

Are you okay ranking Edinburgh then ? I got 83.1, I ranked all SE first then all West ( majority randomly) then East ( randomly) basically because I don’t want them to randomly allocate me the Aberdeen. Is that not what you do ?
Are you okay ranking Edinburgh then ? I got 83.1, I ranked all SE first then all West ( majority randomly) then East ( randomly) basically because I don’t want them to randomly allocate me the Aberdeen. Is that not what you do ?

Only*

So basically I went through all of the SE and did my research on the individual groups and then ranked them. After that I just found other groups outside of the SE offering a paeds rotation and ranked them (but without much research into them). I scored 84.5 so I have my fingers crossed that's enough for one of the SE rotations (but don't want to jinx it)!
I have a couple questions about ranking jobs.

1. I'm 3rd decile in NE/Central London. I saw on Twitter that your decile determines how many jobs you need to rank - so will I only have to rank 50 something (i.e. the number of people ranked above me?).
2. I am wanting to do Paediatrics/General Medicine Training. I saw a few jobs do not have a surgery rotation. Will it make me less well rounded by not doing a surgery rotation? I just much prefer Medicine.
3. Should I do Paediatrics in F1 so that I can get started on CV related activities? Or is it more worthwhile doing it as a F2 to contribute more? I feel there is such a fine balance to wanting to be a good clinical doctor, but also needing to do CV-related things to get into training.
4. I am wanting to do 2 years in a Teaching Hospital. Is this a bad idea - should I go for a DGH one year to gain clinical experience?

Any advice would be helpful :smile:
I have a couple questions about ranking jobs.

1. I'm 3rd decile in NE/Central London. I saw on Twitter that your decile determines how many jobs you need to rank - so will I only have to rank 50 something (i.e. the number of people ranked above me?).
2. I am wanting to do Paediatrics/General Medicine Training. I saw a few jobs do not have a surgery rotation. Will it make me less well rounded by not doing a surgery rotation? I just much prefer Medicine.
3. Should I do Paediatrics in F1 so that I can get started on CV related activities? Or is it more worthwhile doing it as a F2 to contribute more? I feel there is such a fine balance to wanting to be a good clinical doctor, but also needing to do CV-related things to get into training.
4. I am wanting to do 2 years in a Teaching Hospital. Is this a bad idea - should I go for a DGH one year to gain clinical experience?

Any advice would be helpful :smile:

Do paeds in F2 if you want a proper taste of it. That way you’ll be on the sho rota doing nights etc and get a much better idea of what the job is. F1s in paeds tend to be very much relegated to admin a lot and don’t get to do much of the fun stuff (at least in the places I’ve worked)
So basically I went through all of the SE and did my research on the individual groups and then ranked them. After that I just found other groups outside of the SE offering a paeds rotation and ranked them (but without much research into them). I scored 84.5 so I have my fingers crossed that's enough for one of the SE rotations (but don't want to jinx it)!

When I looked most of the groups were high 70’s, and a couple in the 80’s so I’m sure it is! Fingers crossed 🤞

Also, is there a reason you want SE ? Did you study there and know the hospitals well ?

I used to live in Essex London and sort of wanted to do an attachment at the Medway Maritime Hospital.
It’s a somewhat straightforward journey (of about 1.5 hours on average) from London by train and bus, and I assume it’ll be shorter and easier with a car.
I used to live in Essex London and sort of wanted to do an attachment at the Medway Maritime Hospital.
It’s a somewhat straightforward journey (of about 1.5 hours on average) from London by train and bus, and I assume it’ll be shorter and easier with a car.

Also, I personally didn’t like the hospital, and my friend who did her F1 there left after one year. You might have a different experience.
How are we ranked for jobs in Yorkshire and Humber? EPM? SJT? Both?
Also, is there a reason you want SE ? Did you study there and know the hospitals well ?

I have family from there! Plus I've just always loved Edinburgh so it's been a bit of a dream of mine to live there at some point!
Is anyone taking into consideration the whispers of the possibility of a third wave in the Autumn and avoiding their preferred rotations then? Dunno if i'm looking to deep into this tbh tho...