The Student Room Group

Controversial opinions you hold?

Ones that you aren't afraid to bring up, but also ones that you probably know you can't say...

One i came up with today:

We don't hiss enough as a people. As a form of expression. Of anger or defensiveness.

Hissing at people who get closer than 2m? Hissing at bad drivers instead of swearing at them? I think for now it holds a certain 'shock factor' as many people don't do it. It is also hilarious. But I think laughing after hissing looks more mental. Need to practice. Maybe one could hiss then turn to bury their face in the nook of their elbow to hide the laughter. But then it might be taken as an expression of fear and submission. Needs thinking about. But i think it holds potential. Also, works despite language barriers as no words needed. Works on cats too. Etc

Mod note: Keep this thread as polite as possible please, and try not to veer into being insulting, or spouting hatred, under the guise of a 'controversial opinion'.

Thanks Mod, everyone listen to the Mod please
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My largest dog will attack if she hears a hiss, so at your own risk around these parts :lol:
Dogs are overrated.
Original post by gjd800
My largest dog will attack if she hears a hiss, so at your own risk around these parts :lol:

What breed?
Reply 4
i don't think hissing at people will work.
Reply 5
Original post by leopard202
What breed?

Romanian Mioritic
Original post by xXThEsMarTBaNanA
There are only two genders

This ^
Reply 7
Cats are evil.
Brachycephalic breeding practices are abhorrent and needs to be regulated with vet approved cranium to muzzle ratios like they have done in the Netherlands
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Cats are evil.

😱😱😱😱😱 nooooooooooo they're the best things ever
Reply 10
Original post by CoolCavy
Brachycephalic breeding practices are abhorrent and needs to be regulated with vet approved cranium to muzzle ratios like they have done in the Netherlands

Pugs?
Reply 11
Original post by Joleee
i don't think hissing at people will work.

https://youtu.be/iScHpvPCGfc?t=298
Original post by CoolCavy

They are. Everytime I hear a wheezing pug before I see it .. no wonder they have a permanent look of sadness and alarm in their eyes

I sent a large hiss to Brachycephalic breeding practices
bisexual and pansexual are the same thing, pansexual is a type of bisexual
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Pugs?

Yeh and others :frown:
It boggles my mind that we are supposedly a nation of dog lovers yet have heaving spherical breeds that can hardly breathe sitting in a lounge
Ones that you aren't afraid to bring up, but also ones that you probably know you can't say...

We don't hiss enough as a people. As a form of expression. Of anger or defensiveness.

Hissing at people who get closer than 2m? Hissing at bad drivers instead of swearing at them? I think for now it holds a certain 'shock factor' as many people don't do it. It is also hilarious. But I think laughing after hissing looks more mental. Need to practice. Maybe one could hiss then turn to bury their face in the nook of their elbow to hide the laughter. But then it might be taken as an expression of fear and submission. Needs thinking about. But i think it holds potential. Also, works despite language barriers as no words needed. Works on cats too. Etc

I like the idea of more hissing! Surely though we should balance it out by encouraging more hugging and physical displays of affection, with people who aren't romantic partners :grouphugs:
More hugs probably isn't a very controversial opinion, so: trans people should be allowed to use whatever bathroom and sleeping facilities they want to, if they're not convicted sex offenders.
Burger King > Mcdonalds

Spoiler

Ummmmm... I used to hiss at people all of the time. Specially to scare people off... It work well on people who don't speak English properly... I did it at staff when I was on a psychiatric ward.
Feminists don’t want equal rights - they will more than men
Original post by gjd800
Romanian Mioritic

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/453385887457351073/

...is this true?

Quick Reply