gracey111.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay so i just re-read the catcher in the rye, it’s a good book and all but is it just me or is Holden just a bit incesty? He seems very captivated by his sisterand he also seems to take an interest in a young girl who’s skating. Maybe he’s just attracted to her innocence in a non sexual way and wants to protect her from the phony world or perhaps he sees her as a younger version of himself and wants to protect her from becoming him or maybe i’m just being pedantic and he really isn’t incesty at all. What do you think??
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can see why you might think that, but I think his interest isn't at all sexual or romantic. With how relaxed he always is with Phoebe, how proud he is shown to be when she dances.... it always came off to me as a close familial relationship rather than a romantic or sexual interest, as these interactions would come off as more awkward than natural if that was the case. I've always seen Phoebe just as Holden's emotional anchor, and thus someone who Holden cares for very much as a sister.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.03%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.39%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (22)
17.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.06%

Watched Threads