The Student Room Group

Do unis majorly care about GCSE grades?

So for my GCSES I’m predicted 87666554. Both the 5s in English language and maths. Say that I wanted to attend to a Russel group uni such as the uni of Manchester. Will they highly focus on my GCSE grades as well as my A levels? If I get these grades does this put me at a disadvantage? Because of the corona virus, I am unable to sit my exams and get higher than my predicted as I believe some of my predicted are false.
I was at the top end of a 6 touching a 7 with some of my subjects yet my teachers predicted me a 6. I just wish that my teachers would’ve understand I was capable of getting a 7 also we had a whole two months or so to improve our grades.
Hey there, I've been in your place and clearly understand the nerve and stress students experience when it comes to self-assessing whether there GCSE predictions are good enough for their chosen universities. Firstly, determining whether universities' decisions are majorly influenced by your GCSE grades/predictions is a very broad topic as each university has its own selection criteria (that it would expect its applicants to meet), and furthermore the selection criteria differ in type and difficulty with respect to your chosen course. For the majority of higher education courses the expectation is that you achieve the standard English literacy and numeracy requirement (that is a 5 in English language, yet some universities will consider English literature as an alternative, and a 5 in mathematics). This is the minimum expected standard. Depending on your chosen course you'd be expected to have excelled in certain GCSE subjects, which again this depends on the university in question. For example, I have applied to study medicine. Three of the universities i have applied to expected me to achieve a 5 in my English language, yet one asked for a specified number of 7s, preferably across my sciences (As medicine requires the utilisation of scientific knowledge).

In conclusion, even though the answer to your question is not complicated, it is dependant on a lot of factors and there's no one specific answer to whether your GCSEs are majorly important when it comes to applying to university. To ensure that such a question is accurately answered I'd advice you to contact Manchester University and inquire about the GCSE requirements for your chosen course. Alternatively, you can visit the academic criteria on your university's web page yourself. Feel free to reply should you have any other queries!!
Reply 2
Original post by Ballon D’Or
Hey there, I've been in your place and clearly understand the nerve and stress students experience when it comes to self-assessing whether there GCSE predictions are good enough for their chosen universities. Firstly, determining whether universities' decisions are majorly influenced by your GCSE grades/predictions is a very broad topic as each university has its own selection criteria (that it would expect its applicants to meet), and furthermore the selection criteria differ in type and difficulty with respect to your chosen course. For the majority of higher education courses the expectation is that you achieve the standard English literacy and numeracy requirement (that is a 5 in English language, yet some universities will consider English literature as an alternative, and a 5 in mathematics). This is the minimum expected standard. Depending on your chosen course you'd be expected to have excelled in certain GCSE subjects, which again this depends on the university in question. For example, I have applied to study medicine. Three of the universities i have applied to expected me to achieve a 5 in my English language, yet one asked for a specified number of 7s, preferably across my sciences (As medicine requires the utilisation of scientific knowledge).

In conclusion, even though the answer to your question is not complicated, it is dependant on a lot of factors and there's no one specific answer to whether your GCSEs are majorly important when it comes to applying to university. To ensure that such a question is accurately answered I'd advice you to contact Manchester University and inquire about the GCSE requirements for your chosen course. Alternatively, you can visit the academic criteria on your university's web page yourself. Feel free to reply should you have any other queries!!

Oh yeah thank you so much, this has really helped!
Depends on which russell group and what course you are doing. If you are wanting to go to the uni of manchester, they care about you meeting the minimum gcse requirement for their course. They will look at your gcses but they wont put any weighting on it except for some certain unis but overall every uni cares about other factors like personal statement, interview or external admissions test. They are great grades and I dont think they will put you in a disadvantage except that 5 in english language and maths as some courses require 6 in them so make sure you research if you will meet their requirements. You can try to sit them in Autumn or next summer tbh.
depends on the uni, as long as you meet the requirements of the uni you're applying for you should be fine. research every uni before you apply. most unis will put a heavier weighting on a level grades etc but if you have strong gcse grades that is a bonus.
People often overestimate how hard it is to get offers. Unless you're applying to the top of the top or for particular subjects and pitch your options realistically - you're likely to get an offer from most of your choices. The difficult bit is then meeting said offer.

GCSEs aren't looked at too often, only in a select few cases. Most often you just tick a box of meeting minimum requirements. Unless Manchester needs 6s in English and maths (which some do), you should be fine here. Otherwise, you may want to look at doing them in the autumn period.
Original post by _gcx
People often overestimate how hard it is to get offers. Unless you're applying to the top of the top or for particular subjects and pitch your options realistically - you're likely to get an offer from most of your choices. The difficult bit is then meeting said offer.

GCSEs aren't looked at too often, only in a select few cases. Most often you just tick a box of meeting minimum requirements. Unless Manchester needs 6s in English and maths (which some do), you should be fine here. Otherwise, you may want to look at doing them in the autumn period.

Wondering whether a 4 in maths would reduce your chances of getting into a Russell Group for a humanities subject (Eg: History, English, Philosophy) even if you have extenuating circumstances which explain why your GCSEs aren’t amazing? (Baring in mind that my humanities GCSE grades are all 8s and 7s). Starting to think I would be worrying about that more than I am.
Original post by justjas33
Wondering whether a 4 in maths would reduce your chances of getting into a Russell Group for a humanities subject (Eg: History, English, Philosophy) even if you have extenuating circumstances which explain why your GCSEs aren’t amazing? (Baring in mind that my humanities GCSE grades are all 8s and 7s). Starting to think I would be worrying about that more than I am.

If they require a 5 it may be an issue. (they can reject out of hand for missing GCSE requirements) Some like Warwick only require a 4. How extenuating circumstances would effect things I'm unsure, you'd need to ask.
When I applied a few years ago the only GCSEs the unis really cared about was your English and if doing a Maths/Science course then your Maths GCSE but mostly it was on A Levels, whilst I can only speak for the ones i applied too I think from when i was looking around most just wanted you to have english at grade C or above, which I think is around a 4/5 on the new grades.
Original post by _gcx
If they require a 5 it may be an issue. (they can reject out of hand for missing GCSE requirements) Some like Warwick only require a 4. How extenuating circumstances would effect things I'm unsure, you'd need to ask.

The thing is I haven’t seen anything about requiring a 5 maths gcse. I’ve looked at the university wide basic requirements as well as subject requirements and all they seem to want is a 5 in English Language or Literature (maybe Language) and I have an 8 in both Lang and Lit. Perhaps I should email admissions? (I’ve been hesitant to as I’m sure they’re very busy atm).
Original post by justjas33
The thing is I haven’t seen anything about requiring a 5 maths gcse. I’ve looked at the university wide basic requirements as well as subject requirements and all they seem to want is a 5 in English Language or Literature (maybe Language) and I have an 8 in both Lang and Lit. Perhaps I should email admissions? (I’ve been hesitant to as I’m sure they’re very busy atm).

There are no unwritten requirements, if it doesn't specify a minimum maths grade (I thought most did? I'd double check this. I've searched a few off the top of my head and they all seem to.) or specifies you need a 4, you won't need higher.
Original post by _gcx
There are no unwritten requirements, if it doesn't specify a minimum maths grade (I thought most did? I'd double check this. I've searched a few off the top of my head and they all seem to.) or specifies you need a 4, you won't need higher.

I’ve just talked to someone in the admissions office in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at the Uni of Edinburgh (one of the unis I’m considering) about it and they said for the course I’m interested in (philosophy), all you need is an English GCSE at a C/4 and no other GCSE grades are considered. I’ll ask the rest of the universities I’m considering but I’m pretty sure that they’re the same!
Original post by Fresher18
When I applied a few years ago the only GCSEs the unis really cared about was your English and if doing a Maths/Science course then your Maths GCSE but mostly it was on A Levels, whilst I can only speak for the ones i applied too I think from when i was looking around most just wanted you to have english at grade C or above, which I think is around a 4/5 on the new grades.

thank you for your input!
Reply 13
Original post by PetitePanda
Depends on which russell group and what course you are doing. If you are wanting to go to the uni of manchester, they care about you meeting the minimum gcse requirement for their course. They will look at your gcses but they wont put any weighting on it except for some certain unis but overall every uni cares about other factors like personal statement, interview or external admissions test. They are great grades and I dont think they will put you in a disadvantage except that 5 in english language and maths as some courses require 6 in them so make sure you research if you will meet their requirements. You can try to sit them in Autumn or next summer tbh.

Hi, the uni of Manchester minimum requirements are a 4 in maths and english language is that good enough?
it's subjective to every uni; some do and some don't
Original post by Anonn233
Hi, the uni of Manchester minimum requirements are a 4 in maths and english language is that good enough?

That would be fine. If you ever worried, you could just contact admissions team or request an FOI for what gcses a successful candidate for that course from uni of manchester
Reply 16
The uni process doesnt actually rely on GCSE grades, it goes on A level grades towards a points system. You can also increase your chances with a good personal statement and with other related activities to your chosen subject. So dont worry Im sure you will have your chance to shine at A level and if you really want to go to a Russel group uni, make that your aim and you will get there. Good luck. Everyone is in the same boat with GCSEs this year, sadly.

Quick Reply

Latest