kaion76
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey guys,

I have a few questions about the course content of these two degrees.

I understand biomedical science prepares you to be a researcher and also allows you to apply to medicine through GEM. Medicine trains you to be a doctor with 2 years of pre-clinical study and 3 years clinical study.

However, I am curious about how much overlapping these two courses have, especially for the 3 year bsc in biomedical science vs pre-clinical portion of medicine.

Let say a student have studied biomedical science and then begin his study in 5 year medicine / 4 year GEM. Does he/she already know most of the stuff in the pre-clinical side (or perhaps they would know even more than most med students because have spent 3 years on it with a research dissertation instead of 2 years)?

Thanks!
dentist123b
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey this is a good question to look into

First point i'd make is be careful when you say medicine is becoming a "doctor with 2 years of pre-clinical study and 3 years clinical study"
in theory, it is like that, but in reality its not
the pre-clinical study and the clinical study are all overlapping
so yes, the first year will likely be purely pre-clinical
but then your second year you're thrown in the deep end and you're doing clinical as well as pre-clinical studies. so it's a mix

this is what's massively different to BMed Sci - this is more or less all theoretical (pre-clinical)
so you will pick up a lot of pre-clinical knowledge in BMed Sci, but it doesn't necessarily mean you already know it for medicine - because in medicine you need to integrate that pre-clinical with the clinical knowledge, which is something you cant do in BMed Sci

hope that helps a little!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads