Joshuah0123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I want to become an architect in the future and was wondering if I should take art or DT GCSE. I like both subjects but I think that I would probably do better in DT. If art is much more beneficial for architecture than DT then I wouldn't mind putting the extra effort in.

Thanks in advance!
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
At GCSE level, you can't really go wrong with choices. My friend who is also interested in architecture took both, but in my opinion DT is a much more practical choice. I did Art GCSE and the amount of work load is very high, and I would only take it if you wanted Art as a break from essay-based subjects and it is your hobby anyway.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Tbh it doesnt matter what gcse you do for architecture its the a levels so are you planning to do any of those at A levels? Also what about architecture do you like or want to learn about??? Also what pathways are you going on to become an architect?
Joshuah0123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Tbh it doesnt matter what gcse you do for architecture its the a levels so are you planning to do any of those at A levels? Also what about architecture do you like or want to learn about??? Also what pathways are you going on to become an architect?
Thanks for the answer. Whatever one out of DT and art I choose to do at GCSE I would want to carry on to A - level. I have a passion for modern architecture and have had for many years.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Joshuah0123)
Thanks for the answer. Whatever one out of DT and art I choose to do at GCSE I would want to carry on to A - level. I have a passion for modern architecture and have had for many years.
You didnt answer my other questions :confused: Why do you have a passion for architecture for many years? What do you like about modern architecture?
username5225164
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'd say art is a good choice for Architecture. I too wanted to be an architect but ended up going down the civil engineering route, however my firm are a large architectural firm. I studied art at GCSE and A-Level and they told me that if I hadn't have been able to demonstrate creativity there is a chance I may not have been as successful in my role as I have been. Knowing someone can draw really helps in applications, and you can develop your portfolio for architecture while doing your art coursework. In fact, a lot of the modules are optional in art&design studies and you can adapt topics to suit you.
username5298448
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
From what I’ve seen most people take Art for architecture although both are acceptable choices. They’re good subjects that provide you with a portfolio of work needed for university interviews.

Although I do think art (A level) gives you the chance to show them your interests and your skills in a variety of media. My portfolio was pretty much all my A level artwork whereas one of my friends who took DT was having to make one from scratch (including some of her DT work).

Also it depends what universities you’re interested in, some universities value artistic creativity a lot from what I’ve seen during my application process.

However, the best advice for you would be to chose the subject you think you’ll actually do well in because art is already a VERY STRESSFUL subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (194)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (560)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (430)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (530)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (190)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (232)
6.03%
Loneliness (323)
8.4%
Financial worries (141)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (151)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (172)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (218)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (343)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (361)
9.39%

Watched Threads