University Essays

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been out of education for a year and I am starting university in September. I went to college rather than doing A-Levels. I mostly did practical work and some written course work. I feel like my academic writing skills are not brilliant so I would like to improve those before I go to university so my essays will be good enough. I want to always be working towards 2:1's however I don't want my grades to be decreased due to my lack of writing skills and formality. Are there any websites or books I can use to improve on those skills?
Hol2509
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hey I also felt the same when starting uni. I did a BTEC then a year out so didn't feel confident. When I started one of my first-year modules was an academic study skills module which taught us how to reference correctly, write academically, research for essays etc. I think a lot of unis do this sort of module for first years and there is also access to academic skills and support all the way through the course
Joleee
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
what subject are you studying?

your uni's library is bound to have stuff, but tbh the best way to get good at academic writing is to copy other writers. i don't mean plagiarism, but like find an author (or a few) you enjoy and sit down and actually 'study' their writing. read something they wrote and ask yourself why you like it so much, then try to emulate it. do you have access to academic journals or anything right now?

btw chances are you're a better writer than you think you are, anyway. a common mistake of first years (so my lecturers say) is to try and sound 'academic', when trying to sound academic just makes you sound dumber since you're probably using words wrong and lack clarity. but you will find out that KISS is generally the best writing method
Laserquest28
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joleee)
what subject are you studying?

your uni's library is bound to have stuff, but tbh the best way to get good at academic writing is to copy other writers. i don't mean plagiarism, but like find an author (or a few) you enjoy and sit down and actually 'study' their writing. read something they wrote and ask yourself why you like it so much, then try to emulate it. do you have access to academic journals or anything right now?

btw chances are you're a better writer than you think you are, anyway. a common mistake of first years (so my lecturers say) is to try and sound 'academic', when trying to sound academic just makes you sound dumber since you're probably using words wrong and lack clarity. but you will find out that KISS is generally the best writing method
KISS???
does it mean something else, in academics
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been out of education for a year and I am starting university in September. I went to college rather than doing A-Levels. I mostly did practical work and some written course work. I feel like my academic writing skills are not brilliant so I would like to improve those before I go to university so my essays will be good enough. I want to always be working towards 2:1's however I don't want my grades to be decreased due to my lack of writing skills and formality. Are there any websites or books I can use to improve on those skills?
Hi!

You could do research into your Uni's additional support services so when you are set your first essay, you can contact them and get some advice. For example, at Portsmouth we have a team which can help to proof read your work and check all your references are okay as well as giving advice on how to successfully write different kinds of essays such as reflections, literature reports, etc. By doing this you can make sure that as soon as you need to start an essay, you know where to go to get the advice you need.

I hope this helps!
Erin - Official Student Rep
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey,

You may be taught how to write academically for your subject, on the course. On my course we were shown examples of essays that achieved good marks, which really helped me understand how I needed to be writing, Furthermore, as Erin has said some uni's offer a lot of support services to help with how to write academically and referencing. So, when you start uni it might be worth contacting these services and seeing how they can help you. At the uni I go to, we currently have a platform where we can submit our drafts for coursework and we get feedback on the structure, grammar and any other things that need improving. So, try and make use of all the services offered.

Good luck!

Zaira
Mitchelle Ngoli
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hello dear,I handle essays,dissertation, research paper, projects etc
Kindly reach me our for any help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (86)
67.19%
No (29)
22.66%
I didn't use it to prepare (13)
10.16%

Watched Threads