The Student Room Group

How much homework do A-level students get

for the subjects you chose how much homework do you get? and how long is it? i know it will probably vary from subject to subject and from school to school...

from what i hear, A-level students get even MORE work than GCSE students and i honestly don't wanna spend time stressing with homework this year so i want to choose A-level subjects that will give me less homework lol.
I dont think we get more tbh. We get like the same but less because less subjects. For history, I get two essays because I have two teachers a week; for maths, I get two sheets of homework from both of my teachers a week; for physics, I have to do a summary sheet every week and a mix of questions of past papers depending if we are at the start of the topic, which we'll get questions for what we learnt, or end of the topic, which we get a past paper to do. They tend to be an hour each but it depends how much you get stuck on it or how much effort you put. You stress less about homework and you still have time to do independent revision. That's the worst way you can choose A levels.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's dependent on the subject and school as you said but for me:
Business - Quite a few essays had to be completed
Psychology - Pretty much nothing
Biology - A lot but it's manageable if you make use of time wisely
For me I had:
Maths - 6 * 30 minute task sheets a week
Chemistry - videos to watch before lesson (30 minutes a lesson) , around 3 bits of work a week
Biology - around half an hour finishing worksheets, 90 minutes exam questions a week and lots of revision homework every couple of weeks that would take 3/4 hours
It will completely depend on your school :smile:
At my old school it's less than at GCSE. They might try to scare you with a high workload earlier on (might also help to identify struggling students) but it tapers off after a while.

The most homework I've ever got, iirc, was in year 7/8 lol.
Will depend on your college but:
Maths: 2 question sheets a week that take anywhere between 1-3 hours in total
Physics: 1 question sheet that takes about 2 hours as it's my weakest subject
History: Questions to do after each lesson, about 2 hours (6 in total for 3 history lessons a week)

Don't choose subjects based on lighter workload because every subject has a lot of work and you might have to spend longer anyway if you find the subject difficult. Choose ones you will enjoy, perhaps are good at at GCSE or will help you when going to university/career.

Also it really isn't a lot if you keep on-top of your work and most of my homework I completed in my free periods in college so could just have evenings off.

:grin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pinkiebaby
for the subjects you chose how much homework do you get? and how long is it? i know it will probably vary from subject to subject and from school to school...

from what i hear, A-level students get even MORE work than GCSE students and i honestly don't wanna spend time stressing with homework this year so i want to choose A-level subjects that will give me less homework lol.

Choose subjects that you enjoy then.

IMO, 'A' levels are not a "tick box" qualification - they are your first real introduction to subjects that you might continue in a degree. Your future plans may well depend on really understanding the subjects, not just getting through with the minimum of effort. Pick subjects that you enjoy, and spend the time on them.

If you can pick subjects that fit together, it'll be less work. I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Studies. CS was trivial - I'd already programmed a lot (it was a hobby long before GCSEs), and anything vaguely mathematical on the exams was stupidly easy, because (for reasons that I never understood) virtually everyone was doing the essay questions. Physics was obvious to me, so it just reduced to maths - my Physics revision was two sides of formulae.

I enjoyed my 'A' levels, whereas I hadn't my GCSEs ('O' levels back then). You get to focus on what you enjoy, so hopefully find easier. Good luck.
Original post by pinkiebaby

It very much depends on the subject.
If you are doing maths then it will usually just be book work and worksheets with exam questions.
For physics, we learn two topics in parallel in our double lessons so we usually get one homework for one topic to complete during the week and then the other topic homework to do on the weekend. If ur teacher knows about isaac physics then they will frequently set homework on that as well as work from the textbook etc.....
Reply 9
Thank you everyone for the answers, i really appreciate it!! i got some great advise here! i'm not planning to choose my a-levels solely based on homework and workload but it's just something little i want to consider. with GCSE's I was extremely overly stressed all because I could never revise and because I got way too homework right from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.
Reply 10
Original post by RogerOxon
Choose subjects that you enjoy then.

IMO, 'A' levels are not a "tick box" qualification - they are your first real introduction to subjects that you might continue in a degree. Your future plans may well depend on really understanding the subjects, not just getting through with the minimum of effort. Pick subjects that you enjoy, and spend the time on them.

If you can pick subjects that fit together, it'll be less work. I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Studies. CS was trivial - I'd already programmed a lot (it was a hobby long before GCSEs), and anything vaguely mathematical on the exams was stupidly easy, because (for reasons that I never understood) virtually everyone was doing the essay questions. Physics was obvious to me, so it just reduced to maths - my Physics revision was two sides of formulae.

I enjoyed my 'A' levels, whereas I hadn't my GCSEs ('O' levels back then). You get to focus on what you enjoy, so hopefully find easier. Good luck.

thank you so much, this is really helpful to me. I've chosen Geography, Biology and Sociology which aren't so related but I do enjoy them and find them easy.

Quick Reply

Latest