The Student Room Group

Rate of blood flow question

I'm attaching the question and mark scheme below. The question asks you to explain why blood does not accumulate in the arterioles despite the faster rate of blood flow in the arterioles compared to the capillaries. I understand the fact that a greater cross sectional area in the capillaries means that blood is able to pass through a network of capillaries so that it doesn't accumulate; what I don't understand is why it would be intuitive that a greater rate of blood flow in the arterioles would cause blood to accumulate in the first place.
Hope I've explained myself okay. I know this may seem like a bit of a minute detail but its been really bugging me that I don't actually understand the logic to the question
Original post by PigeonParliament
I'm attaching the question and mark scheme below. The question asks you to explain why blood does not accumulate in the arterioles despite the faster rate of blood flow in the arterioles compared to the capillaries. I understand the fact that a greater cross sectional area in the capillaries means that blood is able to pass through a network of capillaries so that it doesn't accumulate; what I don't understand is why it would be intuitive that a greater rate of blood flow in the arterioles would cause blood to accumulate in the first place.
Hope I've explained myself okay. I know this may seem like a bit of a minute detail but its been really bugging me that I don't actually understand the logic to the question

heres the question and mark scheme
Reply 2
Original post by PigeonParliament

Suppose the total cross-sectional area of the arterioles was the same as capillaries and the rate of flow in the arterioles is greater than in the capillaries. More blood is coming into the capillaries than is leaving, causing blood to accumulate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending