The Student Room Group

Trump Threatens to close down social media!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z-hog
I do this just for the sake of annoying some people.

So you're admitting to trolling.
Reply 21
Original post by Napp
Fox as a fact checker? ahahahahaha like asking the lunatics to guard the asylum.

See, had Twitter linked up to them instead and everybody would be raising an eyebrow. This is actually a big story.
Original post by z-hog
Not really
Yeah, I admit to trolling.

You sound a bit confused, you ok?
Reply 23
Original post by z-hog
See, had Twitter linked up to them instead and everybody would be raising an eyebrow. This is actually a big story.

Indeed it is. The so called president of America is undermining truth and decency, again. Nevermind trying to undermine business freedom. You should be outraged at the actions of this disgraceful fat man.
Reply 24
Original post by Napp
Indeed it is. The so called president of America is undermining truth and decency, again. Nevermind trying to undermine business freedom. You should be outraged at the actions of this disgraceful fat man.

It's not about what I should feel like, it's the way Twitter feels about it that matters. They probably feel the same way you do, the question is whether they ought to feel anything at all. CNN, WaPo and all the rest of these fact-checking panels are free to do their own 'fact-checking' in house, Trump is free to say whatever he likes, the american electorate can make their minds up without Twitter leaning on them. Or Facebook, Google.

What was it that he was fact-checked on anyway, all I saw was that he claimed postal-voting would lead to fraud. Then someone said there is no evidence that it will, even if it is obvious that it does where adopted. Lefties have always pushed for it with that precise intention, it's such a drag to convince enough people they ought to be in charge. When are Twitter going to fact-check Biden?
Reply 25
Original post by z-hog
It's not about what I should feel like, it's the way Twitter feels about it that matters. They probably feel the same way you do, the question is whether they ought to feel anything at all. CNN, WaPo and all the rest of these fact-checking panels are free to do their own 'fact-checking' in house, Trump is free to say whatever he likes, the american electorate can make their minds up without Twitter leaning on them. Or Facebook, Google.

What was it that he was fact-checked on anyway, all I saw was that he claimed postal-voting would lead to fraud. Then someone said there is no evidence that it will, even if it is obvious that it does where adopted. Lefties have always pushed for it with that precise intention, it's such a drag to convince enough people they ought to be in charge. When are Twitter going to fact-check Biden?

Interestingly enough i dont disagree with your broad point that platofmrs shouldnt be censoring people due to political idoelogy. Where i differ though is that i think they should post a warning on posts that are evidently dishonest. The fact most of trumps tweets fall under this rubric is entirely his fault and he has no business whining about it.
Do i have to remind you that trump is not just any old citizen who can run his word hole on whatever crackpot crap he likes? He has no busines slying to the population and it is not up to them to have to sift his garbage from fact. Indeed it is a sad state of affairs that twiter have to do it but it is his fault.

Theres nothing 'lefty' about postal voting? :lol:
Theyre more than welcome tof act check biden but given that biden doesnt lie as a matter of course, like Trump, it would seem relatively redundant.
Reply 26
Original post by Napp
Interestingly enough i dont disagree with your broad point that platofmrs shouldnt be censoring people due to political idoelogy. Where i differ though is that i think they should post a warning on posts that are evidently dishonest..

Of course we agree on that, most sensible people capable of rising above that simplistic level where Trump is the anti-Christ will feel the same way. This goes beyond Trump, it's bigger than they can cope with. as for the suggestion of a warning on anything dishonest twitted by a politician, that would be an administrative nightmare. Trump can't be single out for it, it's not for Twitter to have such judgements. Shouldn't be, anyway.

Theyre more than welcome tof act check biden but given that biden doesnt lie as a matter of course, like Trump, it would seem relatively redundant.

Well, Biden claimed recently that if you're black you can't contemplate voting for Trump. To take them at their own game, there is no evidence of that.
Original post by z-hog
it's not for Twitter to have such judgements. Shouldn't be, anyway.

Why not? It's their platform, you agree to their terms of service when you sign up, and the US first amendment gives them the right to do so.

You not liking it isn't the same as it being wrong.
Reply 28
Original post by Drewski
Why not? It's their platform, you agree to their terms of service when you sign up, and the US first amendment gives them the right to do so.

You not liking it isn't the same as it being wrong.

There's always that as a last resort, when no better arguments can be thought of. You can also say Twitter could just ban Trump altogether, it is their platform and they can do whatever they like. Next they can ban an entirely political wing, if they like. It's their platform. Not sure of what you mean by 'the first amendment gives them the right to...', it gives Trump the right to say whatever he likes as well.
Original post by z-hog
There's always that as a last resort, when no better arguments can be thought of. You can also say Twitter could just ban Trump altogether, it is their platform and they can do whatever they like. Next they can ban an entirely political wing, if they like. It's their platform. Not sure of what you mean by 'the first amendment gives them the right to...', it gives Trump the right to say whatever he likes as well.

It doesn't give him the right to use another private company to say whatever he wants. And it doesn't make him immune from criticism.
That's the crux of the whole fight. Does the 1st amendment come before a private company's relative monopoly or after?
Worth realising that the internet has enabled people outside what the big business owned media to voice opinions that would otherwise be silenced.
Sadly, the internet is increasingly dying as a place of free speech as more rules, attack campaigns, censorship occurs every day.
When there are official statistics you should no longer mention it's getting quite Orwellian.
For a bunch of people that claim to believe in the free market, I don't get why Trump supporters don't set their own rival social media sites and let the market decide.
Original post by Trotsky's Ghost
For a bunch of people that claim to believe in the free market, I don't get why Trump supporters don't set their own rival social media sites and let the market decide.

How long did it take Gab to be allowed on the Android and Apple stores? How many other startups have been bought out or shut down?
It's not a level playing field, even if you have a great app (which Gab certainly wasn't last time I saw it). It's a closed shop of a very small number of companies.
Original post by Sam.C.Mat
How long did it take Gab to be allowed on the Android and Apple stores? How many other startups have been bought out or shut down?
It's not a level playing field, even if you have a great app (which Gab certainly wasn't last time I saw it). It's a closed shop of a very small number of companies.

That TikTok went from nothing to being one of the largest social media platforms in 3.5 years by offering something a little different shows how weak this argument is.

But rather than seeking alternatives, American conservatives would rather continue using Twitter while complaining they are being victimised by Twitter. It is like they are all suffering from Stockholm syndrome.
That TikTok went from nothing to being one of the largest social media platforms in 3.5 years by offering something a little different shows how weak this argument is.

But rather than seeking alternatives, American conservatives would rather continue using Twitter while complaining they are being victimised by Twitter. It is like they are all suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

Isn't tiktok just a vine clone?
Original post by DiddyDec
Isn't tiktok just a vine clone?

I believe it started out as lip-syncing to music videos before drifting into generic short video clips. Not that I've used it myself, so I'm not entirely clear.
I believe it started out as lip-syncing to music videos before drifting into generic short video clips. Not that I've used it myself, so I'm not entirely clear.

I see, I'm too old to understand it.

Cool, how do I bribe courts and politicians while taking giant handouts from other countries to make my own website. The same goes for making my own banking system?
Expect his cult supporters to just shout "fake news" at this
Reply 39

Another thing you don't get is the concern by anybody democratically minded, regardless of being a Trump supporter or not. That much is easily gettable and even easier to understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending