The Student Room Group

Best Learner Insurance

Hi everyone,

Once this whole lockdown mess is over, I'm looking at learning to drive again - however I feel that I would benefit from getting private practice with my parents.

The question I want to ask is: which the best (and cheapest) learner insurance to get on my mum's car? For point of reference, I'm 19 years old and my mum's car is a 2018 Mini Cooper 1.5

Thanks
Insurance right now is cheap as hell, when i passed around 10 months ago i got quoted £1,200 for just a 1.0 corsa but due to this covid i just got quoted £800 for same car and quoted only £1400 for an audi a3 sport lmfao and i haven't even been driving a year..take advantage of it is my advice and use a site like https://www.comparethemarket.com/ as it gathers quoted form all over but for me i think hastings direct was the cheapest at the time but i have noticed recently a company called ticker is coming up the cheapest every time.
Original post by Nick6501
Insurance right now is cheap as hell, when i passed around 10 months ago i got quoted £1,200 for just a 1.0 corsa but due to this covid i just got quoted £800 for same car and quoted only £1400 for an audi a3 sport lmfao and i haven't even been driving a year..take advantage of it is my advice and use a site like https://www.comparethemarket.com/ as it gathers quoted form all over but for me i think hastings direct was the cheapest at the time but i have noticed recently a company called ticker is coming up the cheapest every time.

I'll look in to it, cheers 👍

A lad I went to school with recommended me a company called Marmalade - I've heard good things about them
Original post by TeardropProds
Hi everyone,

Once this whole lockdown mess is over, I'm looking at learning to drive again - however I feel that I would benefit from getting private practice with my parents.

The question I want to ask is: which the best (and cheapest) learner insurance to get on my mum's car? For point of reference, I'm 19 years old and my mum's car is a 2018 Mini Cooper 1.5

Thanks

Hey,

As the other answer mentioned, it's a good idea to shop around - just have a look at the reviews for some of them, as I found a lot of the time, the really cheap ones have terrible reviews and lacking customer service!

If at the start you're unlikely to be going out very much (maybe like two or three hours a week), it might be good to get Cuvva (an app on your phone), which you can use to insure a car for an hour or two.
Reply 4
Hi everyone,

Thanks

No one can answer this, sorry.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
No one can answer this, sorry.

You could try answering it instead of being curt.
Reply 6
Hi everyone,

Thanks

It all depends on your individual circumstances, there is no cheap insurance for everyone. Admiral offered me £350 but they may offer someone else £1200 because of where they live, type of car etc.

A 1.5 may be a little too big for a learner in their insurance. Generally cars around 1.2 offer cheaper quotes.

Just make sure you go on websites like uswitch, comparethemarket, confused.com to find the cheapest deals rather than just pick an individual company out and just go with them.
Marmalade and Veygo are good for learners. We used RAC Day insure as the car was in DD's name and Marmalade/Veygo wouldn't cover that scenario - their price factors in the car being covered for theft by the main driver.
Original post by Spad
It all depends on your individual circumstances, there is no cheap insurance for everyone. Admiral offered me £350 but they may offer someone else £1200 because of where they live, type of car etc.

A 1.5 may be a little too big for a learner in their insurance. Generally cars around 1.2 offer cheaper quotes.

Just make sure you go on websites like uswitch, comparethemarket, confused.com to find the cheapest deals rather than just pick an individual company out and just go with them.

Yeah that makes sense - to be honest I'm unsure if I can drive my mum's car as she always takes care of it and I wouldn't trust myself

Thanks everyone who answered 😀😀
I'll look in to it, cheers 👍

A lad I went to school with recommended me a company called Marmalade - I've heard good things about them

You need special learner insurance so that if you have an accident it doesn't affect your parents NCD.

We used Marmalade :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Spad
You could try answering it instead of being curt.

No one can tell the OP which insurer will be cheapest. It's quite simple.
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
No one can tell the OP which insurer will be cheapest. It's quite simple.

You could have however been welcoming and told the OP factors that affect cheap insurance. You don't have to be so curt on a nice friendly forum. I managed to answer OP.
Reply 12
Original post by Spad
You could have however been welcoming and told the OP factors that affect cheap insurance. You don't have to be so curt on a nice friendly forum. I managed to answer OP.

I have a sticky on this already - why repeat myself? Forum etiquette is to read the stickies and use the search function prior to posting.
Original post by Muttley79
You need special learner insurance so that if you have an accident it doesn't affect your parents NCD.

We used Marmalade :smile:

I'll have a look in to it 😀

I'll probably be going with an instructor anyway, but learning with my parents every so often would definitely help

Thanks again to everyone who replied 😀😀
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
I have a sticky on this already - why repeat myself? Forum etiquette is to read the stickies and use the search function prior to posting.

Okay Mr Curt.
Reply 15
Original post by Spad
Okay Mr Curt.

You're more than welcome to leave if you don't agree with how things work around here. Quite frankly, I could not give a toss! :laugh:
Original post by Spad

And your answer was really helpful, thanks 😀😀
Reply 17
Original post by IWMTom
You're more than welcome to leave if you don't agree with how things work around here. Quite frankly, I could not give a toss! :laugh:

Why do you have to be rude?
Reply 18
And your answer was really helpful, thanks 😀😀

That's okay, at least some one is helpful. :biggrin:

Best of luck in your future driving, it's a wonderful thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending