The Student Room Group

Mechanics Newton’s 3rd law

I have this question that I’ve been stuck on for a while and I’m clueless on how to work it out and why I got it wrong I’ll post the question and my failed attempt below
Reply 1
E8C98E05-D216-4BE9-82D5-98BE8B8CEC57.jpeg
Reply 2
image.jpg
Original post by A0W0N
image.jpg

For the 3 kg particle, T = 3 a (not T = 3g which is what you have effectively used) The 3 g is vertical so not included in a horizontal equation (whoops, sorry if you rerad my first version)
So combine this with 7g - T = 7a
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by A0W0N
image.jpg

hi i would have resolved the forces in the direction of motion of particles giving 2 equations ,one for each particle and solve for acceleration
Reply 5
For the diagram:
- For the 3 kg mass, the weight is directed towards the Earth so you need the weight 3g downwards,
- For the 7 kg mass, the acceleration is downwards.

A good strategy here is to resolve each mass separately then use simultaneous equations to remove T (tension of the string) and to find a (acceleration).
Reply 6
Original post by tiny hobbit
For the 3 kg particle, T = 3 a (not T = 3g which is what you have effectively used) The 3 g is vertical so not included in a horizontal equation (whoops, sorry if you rerad my first version)
So combine this with 7g - T = 7a

i put that in and it said it was wrong
Reply 7
Original post by simon0
For the diagram:
- For the 3 kg mass, the weight is directed towards the Earth so you need the weight 3g downwards,
- For the 7 kg mass, the acceleration is downwards.

A good strategy here is to resolve each mass separately then use simultaneous equations to remove T (tension of the string) and to find a (acceleration).

how do i remove the tension, the tension has to be equal on both sides so the string doesn't rip but is it 7g or 3?
Reply 8
Original post by A0W0N
how do i remove the tension, the tension has to be equal on both sides so the string doesn't rip but is it 7g or 3?

@tiny hobbit's equations of motion are correct.

HINT: Treat as simultaneous equations: (T) + (7g - T) = 3a + 7a.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by A0W0N
E8C98E05-D216-4BE9-82D5-98BE8B8CEC57.jpeg

You have a force of the weight of the 7Kg mass, and a mass of 7+3 Kg to accelerate. F=ma. Done.
Original post by A0W0N
image.jpg

For the 3Kg mass (I don't see where that 3g force comes from - it doesn't exist):
T=3aT=3a

Now resolve vertically for the 7Kg mass, to get a second equation.

Solve for a (Hint use the first equation to remove T from the second).
Reply 11
Original post by RogerOxon
For the 3Kg mass (I don't see where that 3g force comes from - it doesn't exist):
T=3aT=3a

Now resolve vertically for the 7Kg mass, to get a second equation.

Solve for a (Hint use the first equation to remove T from the second).

I got it thanks
image.jpg
ive been stuck in this for a while and an't have a clue what i did wrong
image.jpg
Reply 12
Original post by A0W0N
I got it thanks
image.jpg
ive been stuck in this for a while and an't have a clue what i did wrong
image.jpg

For the diagram, the 60 kg mass is accelerating downwards by 2 m/s^2 and the x kg mass is accelerating upwards.

For your first line of calculation, best to resolve downwards (as there are lack of forces acting sideways). Also, the weight is not 60 but 60g.

Your second line of calcuation does not make sense.
- Resolve upwards or downwards for this mass,
- The weight is not x, it is xg.
Resolving upwards you should have: T - xg = -xa, where a is the acceleration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this help? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by simon0
For the diagram, the 60 kg mass is accelerating downwards by 2 m/s^2 and the x kg mass is accelerating upwards.

For your first line of calculation, best to resolve downwards (as there are lack of forces acting sideways). Also, the weight is not 60 but 60g.

Your second line of calcuation does not make sense.
- Resolve upwards or downwards for this mass,
- The weight is not x, it is xg.
Resolving upwards you should have: T - xg = -xa, where a is the acceleration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this help? :smile:

image.jpg
what have i done wrong here?
Reply 14
Original post by A0W0N
image.jpg

Do these questions tell you what value to use for g e.g. 10 or 9.8 or something else?

Also, you've posted this in two different threads - can you just use one as it's very confusing!!
Reply 15
Original post by davros
Do these questions tell you what value to use for g e.g. 10 or 9.8 or something else?

Also, you've posted this in two different threads - can you just use one as it's very confusing!!

sorry about that, im told it is 9.8
Reply 16
Original post by A0W0N
image.jpg

Hi, the algebraic manipulation needs looking at here.

Up to line:
Unparseable latex formula:

\displystyle 468 = 2x + xg

is fine but some of the next few lines do not make sense (where they are not equivalent to each other).

For example, as stated earlier, you had:

\displystyle 468 = 2x + xg,

the next line you have written is:

\displystyle 234 = x + xg,

where you have attempted to divide by 2, but the result should be:

234=x+g2x. \displaystyle 234 = x + \frac{g}{2}x.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Another anomaly:

234=x+xg 234 = x + xg , is not equivalent to 234g=2x, \displaystyle \frac{234}{g} = 2x ,

since on the left: x = 21.67 (to 2 d.p.), on the right: x = 11.938 ... .
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest