ForeverLearning7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all, hoping to get a bit of advice, I'm a mature student looking to bulk up my GCSE numbers. I have a GCSE in Single Award Science and was going to sign up to do GCSE Biology. What I'm wondering is will the Biology GCSE cancel out the SA science or will it count as an extra GCSE ?

Thanks in advance 😀😀😀
chapmase
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In terms of how much you'll actually learn on top of gcse single science it'll be like 2/3 of a gcse because you should already know the first 1/3. In terms of whether it would count as an extra GCSE then it depends who is counting and how strict they are. In most cases there would be no point in someone nitpicking and not counting it as an extra gcse. It all depends what you're trying to achieve by doing more GCSEs?
ForeverLearning7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by chapmase)
In terms of how much you'll actually learn on top of gcse single science it'll be like 2/3 of a gcse because you should already know the first 1/3. In terms of whether it would count as an extra GCSE then it depends who is counting and how strict they are. In most cases there would be no point in someone nitpicking and not counting it as an extra gcse. It all depends what you're trying to achieve by doing more GCSEs?
Thanks for commenting, I want to apply to do criminology and they want a GCSE profile of 4 c's one of those being english, I only need one more to make up the difference so was going to do biology to make up the numbers. I would just hate to do all that and it not be counted lol
chapmase
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ForeverLearning7)
Thanks for commenting, I want to apply to do criminology and they want a GCSE profile of 4 c's one of those being english, I only need one more to make up the difference so was going to do biology to make up the numbers. I would just hate to do all that and it not be counted lol
I would recommend contacting the admissions department of wherever you're applying to them to check how they'd count it before putting all that work in. They're likely to be more lenient about it since you're a mature student.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As has been said, it depends on who's counting so ask before commiting yourself.

If you're studying it yourself then you may want to pick IGCSE Biology rather than GCSE Biology as IGCSE has no requirement for the exam centre to sign to say you have undertaken the practicals.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...logy-2017.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (0)
0%
Better than expected (5)
38.46%
Worse than expected (8)
61.54%

Watched Threads